Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 $1 Coin Massive Error Coin .or PMD? Expertise Needed Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 457Next Topic  

Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2021  11:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MonicSha55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone,

Changed a $100 note for $1 coins at the bank today and after opening up all the bags into one pile the first coin I saw was this one.

I am aware of lamination flaws which kind of look like this but to a lesser degree. is this a genuine error coin?

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19084 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Massive Post Mint impact Damage, - most probably deliberate.
This coin has come within a millimeter of it's life of being completely destroyed.

Nevertheless, definitely a keeper, for someone kike me, just for curiosity. $2 face value loss is not that much of a financial setback.
Also, can put it back into circulation for no loss. Your choice.
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MonicSha55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your response!

I got one more coin of interest. I'm certain that this is a genuine collar error but after scouring the internet for a while I haven't had any results for this error for this year. Thoughts!?

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1107 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  01:08 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow.... hole on there
Pillar of the Community
United States
8421 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  01:56 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That last coin appears to be a "railroad rim" at least that's what I've always called similar US coins in the states AKA a partial collar but the collar die was at least partially on to keep the coin from going broad struck and spreading out. They are very desirable on our older Silver dollars, not sure of values on Aussie coin errors though. A neat error.

I think the first coin is Post Mint Damage, not caused by mint or in their control. You can see multiple punch marks and one was possibly filled with an acid?
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
06/29/2021 01:59 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19084 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  02:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Partial collar error,
and a desirable coin to in any collection of error coins.
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MonicSha55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhh, these PMD coins get me too often!

In response to the Partial Collar acknowledgement. FINALLY!!! An actual error coin. I'll definitely be holding on to this one.

Thanks for your insights guys!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8421 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  08:18 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know this is for Aussie, NZ and South Pacific coinage, but you might want to look at this book:

http://goccf.com/t/401681

I find it one of the best I've seen yet in 40 years of collecting now. The key is to really learn and understand the minting process to understand how the errors are made.

Of course that means multiple methods of minting as processes change over time, Our US coins from 1790s through the mid 1800's are made with very different processes than coins say after 1965.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61493 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2021  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 457Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05