Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

No Date Buffalo Nickel In Question.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 559Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  12:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add LeatherHawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey y'all. I hope you aren't sick of my newb questions, but this one really has me perplexed. (Well, one of my new coins, the rest will be posted later.)

I just received a package in the mail with a bunch of coins and stuff. After looking through them I did a little more research on the seller and have decided to make sure I not purchase from them again as there were several errors in my lot. This is one of them.

This is what was described...
8) Old Buffalo nickel (Dated between 1913 - 1938)

Pictured is what I received. Is it me or has the date been blatantly covered? Edited to add... I understand this is the right time period, what I'm concerned about is the date being blatantly covered.

Thanks for looking :)

Edited by LeatherHawk
07/01/2021 12:53 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40838 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look damaged in that area, but the dates wore easily on the buffs.As to the seller saying it will date between those dates is accurate.In future posts,please remove coins from 2x2 holder before taking photos.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3518 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is what was described...
8) Old Buffalo nickel (Dated between 1913 - 1938)

Not a lie. This is a Type 2. Minted Between 1913-1938
Edited by keith12
07/01/2021 12:51 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LeatherHawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

OK... no 2x2 in these pics

Pillar of the Community
United States
3489 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The blue-gray color makes me think someone tried to use nic-a-date on it unsuccessfully. They tried to reveal the date using an acid. Either they didn't leave the acid on long enough, or it was too far gone to be revealed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60740 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree. I find the original description "dated between 1913-1938" deceptive.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40838 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Agree. I find the original description "dated between 1913-1938" deceptive

Kinda. But it was minted between those dates,but should have read (No Date) dated between 1913-1938.Just sayin'
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
20589 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The blue-gray color makes me think someone tried to use nic-a-date on it unsuccessfully.

Yes exactly!

A question for the group--as this coin is in basal state and damaged, is it still worth more than face value?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15867 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Leatherhawk , can you post for us a link from the sellers listing ? That didn't sound very Kosher .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LeatherHawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384243259692

It wasn't all bad, but the nickel, a "Roman Coin 330AD, a wheat back with extreme damage, and an incorrect amount of coins received have me getting more upset. Sigh
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11629 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you not read his feedback, he has 137 Negatives from
buyers complaining about the quality of his listings.
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Description is correct, but seller should have stated it was a no date buffalo. Hopefully the rest of the package makes up for it.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LeatherHawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because of this purchase alone, I will be reading feedbacks from now on. I"ve never really paid attention to feedback. This is my lesson. You should see the "Roman Coin"!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15867 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep , all those e-bay listings of multiple different hobby items are just baited to get your attention . Most young collectors fall for this type of offerings . Yes I agree the seller should have said the Buffaloes had no dates .
Buyer beware .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
883 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Type II and always look at the feedback. I also usually will only buy
if the feedback rating is above 99%
Pillar of the Community
United States
1942 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm 99.9% sure this is the Ebay Seller/ Self Slabber that used to go by NumismaticBureau, and later by CoinsRocksandGems (and many other similar names). (The slabs are INB or International Numismatic Bureau). He was based in Saint Paul as is this seller. He's been around for 20+ years with his shady listings. Used to be you could see all the user names a Seller used in the past. Not anymore. Ebay makes it harder to protect yourself from these unscrupulous sellers.
Edited by ratman4762
07/07/2021 12:53 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 559Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05