Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is It Possible To Reveal The MM On This 1901 Barber?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,319Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  4:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this from a metals lot for $2 so no loss is possible.
I am wondering if it is possible to use nic a date or something like that on the mint mark. I want to know is it is an s even though the odds are stacked against me. I see something a little raised in the mm area even though I think it is an O.
Thanks for helping!

Edited by Oldfordman
07/15/2021 4:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8422 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generally it's next to impossible to reveal things on a worn silver coin, easier on Nickel using vinegar or similar light acid. I don't think there is any way on this coin, to be honest.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61514 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree. This coin is essentially a cull.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1938 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was Obverse 1, I could tell you it's 1901-O because O has the only obverse transition variety, everything else in 1901 was Obverse 2. But yours is Obverse 2, so that's as far as I can go. A useless tidbit I guess.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not useless at all. I soaked it in acetone then went over the mm area with a Sharpie and there IS very small raised area there. Nothing to get my hopes up about. I have tried and tried again to capture it in a image but nothing. The mark I thought was an o but with this knowledge...
It is to early to get my hopes up. I am wondering if I send it in at one of those show deals that were discussed in a thread in the grading section like the 10 coins for $110. If they would have it looked at with forsenic analysis for a reasonable price it might be worth sending in at one of those deals.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1938 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably what I said wasn't clear. The vast majority of 1901-O were Obverse 2, and so is yours. All of 1901-P and 1901-S were also Obverse 2. If your coin had been Obverse 1, it could be positively identified as 1901-O, but it isn't. So you're left with about a 1 in 50 chance that it was originally 1901-S but I don't think you'll ever know for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2373 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used silver test solution to show a date on a Seated Liberty dollar

You can see the ghost of the final 4. Prior to doing this I assumed it was an 1843 which is a more common date.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
07/16/2021 12:24 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8422 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stand corrected then looks like a weak acid might just work, if it reveals an S then even in low grade and with the details it would still be worth some money, at least a good amount more than it's worth now.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
07/16/2021 6:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like what sort of weak acid? Vinegar?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2373 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver test solution is strong acid. It's a quick test used on melt grade silver, but on coins as far gone as that dollar or your dime, it doesn't matter.Since it doesn't attack gold, I've used it to remove solder from low grade gold coins. It doesn't increase their value but it makes them less ugly. It turned an ugly jewelry grade gold 1/2 escudo into a polished pocket coin. It's cheap and a couple drops goes a long way. Be careful with it.

IMO it ghosted the 4 on the dollar because of the slight density difference between the numeral and the surrounding field. The numeral is slightly lower in density and etches more easily than the field. If I repolished the coin (which was bright and shiny before the treatment) the effect would go away.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184946767198?tmp=no4
Edited by thq
07/16/2021 3:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I will try that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The stuff came in the mail. Could you please tell me how to use it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2373 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do it in a bathroom sink. I put the coin in a clean glass ashtray and put a drop of the test solution on the spot of interest. It reacts fast on silver, so start with 10-15 seconds at first. You stop it by turning the faucet on cold at low flow and flushing the acid down the drain. Don't splash the acid on yourself.

If you don't see anything, repeat. If you wet the whole coin you'll get an even grey color. You'll get the hang of it with practice. I've used it to get silver solder off gold, which takes multiple soaks for extended time. Gold is unreactive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You think I will need to practice on another scrap coin or will it not damage the coin in question to bad if I mess up?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2373 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on my experience it won't destroy your Barber dime. It will fizz a little and turn it grey. Try it on any junk silver and you'll see what it does.
Edited by thq
07/29/2021 09:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alright.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,319Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05