Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Information On Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 458Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40931 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  07:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this kinda interesting and wanted to share. As some of you know,I have looked through my share of cents in my day
https://www.quora.com/How-many-penn...o-fill-a-car
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
07/17/2021 6:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3222 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it! I'm into "how many" type of calculations for coins.

I can't remember exactly why, but I figured out that the old 5000-count canvas bags from the mint would hold enough cents that if you put them end to end (edge to edge) they would stretch about 104.4 yards Just about the same length as a football field. **If anyone wants to confirm my calculations, PLEASE let me know if I'm wrong.**

Does anyone know how many cents are in the bulk ballistic bags the mint ships out now? I'd like to figure out just how far that might stretch.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
8358 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting IIRC a bag of copper Lincoln cents weighs almost 35 pounds and a bag of zinc Lincoln cents weighs around 28 pounds so a difference of around 7 pounds between the two types. Now mixed there would be no way to differentiate.

I remember reading that dealers in the 1960's of the treasury department silver dollar bag release to the public wanted the lighter bags, as these would be a pound or two lighter, because they contained the mixed dates and mintmarks from used dollars. The heavier bags were likely only a solid date & mintmark only. Some of the clerks learned they could burn a small hole with a lit cigarette tip (people smoked indoors at work back then) and manipulate the coins to see the date and mintmark contained within that bag. Dealers that made deals with some of these clerks to slip them a little bonus on the side after work for getting them particularly better date/mintmark bags.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40931 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think its like 3400 lbs. For the pennies you have about $4000 face, or 160 $25 boxes >>

400,000 cents at 2.5 grams each
= 1,000,000 grams
or one metric tonne
or 1,000 kilos
or approx. 2,200 English pounds.
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60928 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next question - how many old English pennies would it take to fill a lorry?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
351 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
**If anyone wants to confirm my calculations, PLEASE let me know if I'm wrong.**

@Yokozuna Well, let's see - 19.05mm x 5000 / 25.4 / 12 / 3 = 104.2 yards. So, I'd say you're close enough!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3222 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog asked...

Quote:

About 200 Poods or 8000 Funts, but it all depends on the Cran of your Cullishigay.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
8358 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Things I learned 1 funt is equal to 244.2 doppelzenters!

https://hextobinary.com/unit/weight...tner/to/funt

and a pood is equal to 6.1 doppelzenters!

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Learn More...
United States
104028 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20380 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So many with so little to do.
just carl
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 458Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05