Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gold 1943 War Nickel

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 545Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
64 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  12:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mzeek17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I've come across alot of "gold" tinted or colored coins lately.... can anyone tell me what causes this and if they're Worth anything extra or at all.

I found this War Nickel with a gold plating look...its a 1943 P.

Is this just a junk metal from the wartime, or what makes it look this way? And I also found a 1946 one that looks like it's copper if this one amounts to anything lol.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1169 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
these often have "odd" colors, they have more bullion value than a non-Wartime nickel due to silver content
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9301 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And I also found a 1946 one that looks like it's copper

That sounds like environmental damage - probably been buried in the ground for a while. We see a lot of them on this Forum.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobertRansom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some people have them gold plated.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61510 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An old plating would be my guess.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2625 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
La plata
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is something called electroless gold plating solution. You just dunk something metal in it and it puts a thin layer of gold pn it. I needed a small amount in a lab I worked in. I had a lot left over so I plated all sorts of coins with it. I released them in circulation. That was 30 years ago. No doubt some of those came here from people who thought they found something. I don't think it was this one.
Edited by HappyHippo
07/25/2021 4:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plated.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mzeek17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one has a unique brush on pattern, instead of a clumpy mess, due to the plating process most likely... So I'd assume it isn't one of the dunked ones either haha... although, That's either a pretty cool, or cruel idea/trick though depending who got it and their response lol

Does this make it worth anymore than the 5c face value though? And if so what is a honest opinion, or best guess on a value? I'm still relatively new to collecting so I'm not sure what can make any coin worth a fortune over being face value, other than the quantity made/supply and demand/Conditions. So far these are the only real things I fully grasp about collecting currency. If something looks odd or a different color. I usually switch it out of a drawer at work and look it up later...thats my collecting process atm!
Edited by Mzeek17
07/25/2021 4:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is always a War Nickel with a silver value of 1.50. It is worth melt and the plating adds no value.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mzeek17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that ever? Are there some abingdon that add values to any coins or is it their presence of another metal that makes them more valuable? Like I have somebcool rainbow like pennies , some that have like a gold aura looking veil around good ole abe, acco.lanied by a red/rainbow type luster... it may or may not have some doubling or overlaps. I can never tell and the color and shine make it especially hard for me. I've seen stuff like that sell for Lot occasionally..but don't know if its due to the actual coin, an error, or a planchet issue or what..thought maybe some collectors just like a certain color pattern or luster, or plating issues that make their sets unique even... I have a 64 and 65 nickel with similar gold derails, but it looks more like it's inside the coin itself than on the surface alone. And some weigh more and less than others on the same sets... can that help me tell the differences in anything ?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53931 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To a true collector, an altered surface is not preferred. Some like toning. But newbies fall for anything different. So it depends on your level of interest in collecting. Sometimes junk (damaged coins, Machine Doubling, die event coins) goes for big money on eBay. Sometimes variety coins go for less than than normal on eBay.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
07/25/2021 6:55 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19088 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copper nickel MS++ can under the right conditions can tone to a rich golden color.
But wartime nickels are not made of copper nickel - and so from whatever I can recall, never tone to a rich golden color.

For this reason, I think that the OP's pictured coin may well be gold plated.
If that is the case, it is well worth including in a collection, just as a curio.

I agree that even gold plating would add no extra value.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15958 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I beg to differ . Not for nothing guys but this does not look like a plated coin , not 78 years ago ,not 40 years ago and not 5 years ago . Perhaps the true color of the coin is off due to method of photography . Not saying OP intended to make the coin look this way . I'm sure many of you will insist that it's plated but I am up in the air with the photos that I'm looking at .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3326 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few nickels that have that same 'gold toning' Mine have colored that way on their own in the album I kept it in. Maybe got their color from the album...
Pillar of the Community
United States
7090 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks to me that the photo is too yellow to start with.
ša va bien aller

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 545Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05