Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1998 Lincoln Penny + Youtube Video = Confused Newb In Need Of Knowledge

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 589Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  01:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add S3anJ0hn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After reaching out to YouTube with hopes of gaining insight and clarification as to whether or not the penny I have in my possession is worth only the lonely cent of which it is or my ticket to a better life, I came out the other side more lost and confused than ever. If my ability to understand what the video was saying holds true then I might possibly have in my possession one of those rare gems that although cursed from the time it was forged, after years of holding the title of the lowest of value, rose from its eternal resting place in someones cup holder, covered in sticky residue of unknown origin, to take his rightful seat at the Table of Greats... To sum that up for you, basically the narrator of the YouTube video stated that because of the high volume of errors with the 1998 Lincoln penny associated with the a in the M of the word America, it turns out that the lack of error associated with the penny actually makes it the valuable Rarity of that year. And if my eyes are not deceiving me the penny that I included in this post has no significant differentiating elements of any of the letters of the word America. So basically if with my Limited knowledge of the types of things to look for and whether or not I was able to comprehend the message the video correctly I'm hoping to be right and not just be another person in possession of a penny valued at $0.01. So please anybody that has any knowledge they would be willing to pass forward 2 give me the Insight I need finally put this to rest I would greatly appreciate it and I look forward to the responses. Thank you

Bedrock of the Community
United States
44668 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Well first off skip most YT videos on coins,go here on CCF with your questions. After reading your post,I think you are asking about the 1998 Lincoln Cent with the WAM=wide AM? If so yours is the normal CAM=close AM worth 1˘. Also, it would be considered a variety not an error,just a FYI.
Here is a good link you can learn from http://www.error-ref.com/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
427 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

People will say anything to get subscribers. You have to remember, the more followers they have, the more they make in advertising.

I think this YouTube idea this is that there are more WAMs than CAMs that year so the rarer of the two is the CAM.

Here's an easy test, my friend. When someone says something is valuable, go to ebay and search the SOLD listings for that item. If you don't see anything having actually sold, it's probably not true. If you find that thing having sold for a higher price, then yeah there probably is something to what this person is saying so do more research. Now be careful on eBay because mistakes are made just like everywhere else. You're looking for price trends, not one single someone buying the coin at a high price.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobertRansom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, in a nutshell, you have a cent, checked Youtube for identification, are confused and came here for ID. The coin is a Close AM, not worth retirement $$$. Sorry.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57437 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse is showing a MAD coin, but not enough to be a premium for the coin. MAD stands for Mis-Aligned-Die, which is a striking issue. The hammer die was not centered over the anvil die. When the devices fall over the edge of the coin, there is a modest premium for them. But yours is not one of these either.

Note the first image show a simulation of the incorrect setup for the dies in question. With the off colors on the reverse, it might also had an issue with split plating, another coin issue. So it is pretty much just a face value coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LeatherHawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to be honest with you.... I have done the same thing! THought I had a 1964 Jefferson nickel Rare Gem, but I'm pretty sure it's just a regular nickel... again...

Don't let them pull you in, my friend! Come here and ask. That's what I've been doing and the fountain of knowledge you will get from fellow CC peeps is amazing! You will learn and grow as I am doing.

In the meantime... Keep searching!!! One day we both may find something worth more than face value, as I'm still looking for that myself!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2823 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Youtube tricked me into posting that 1936 with coin wrapper damage too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UTube is NOT your friend. CCF is!

to the CCF!
ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3892 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With all above. Stay off the Tube
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 589Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: