Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Classic Commemorative Coin Series: Quick Bits #27 - Edge Lettering

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 311Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6421 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  2:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Answering a question recently about edge lettering on the 2016-W American Silver Eagle (ASE) coins got me thinking about the same device on US commemorative coins. Two came instantly to mind - one official, one not.

Of course, edge lettering has become fairly commonplace on US coins in modern times, with the Presidential, Native American and American Innovation $1 coins all incorporating edge inscriptions to free up design space on each coin's obverse and/or reverse. Edge inscriptions were also integrated onto the 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin and the 2017 American Liberty Gold Coin.

Regarding US commemorative coins, no coin of the classic series (1892-1954) incorporates edge lettering.

Within the modern series, however:

The Official Edge-Lettered Coin: The 1992 Olympic Games silver dollar - the one that features a baseball pitcher in the middle of delivering a pitch (aka, the "Nolan Ryan dollar") - features a reeded edge that also includes "XXV Olympiad" imprinted four times around the coin.

If you'd like to learn more about the Nolan Ryan connection to the coin, check out:

- Looking Back at the 1992 "Nolan Ryan" Dollar

The Unofficial Edge-Lettered Coin: A relatively small group of the 1993 James Madison/Bill of Rights commemorative half dollar incorporates partial edge lettering. A portion of each coin's reeded edge was shaved away by a third-party and then had the initials of the James Madison Memorial Fellowship Foundation ("JMMFF") and the American Numismatic Association ("A N A") added along with a unique serial number (~10,000 coins were produced/numbered/available for sale).

It's quite an interesting story and you can read it here:

- 1993 American Numismatic Association (A N A) - James Madison Memorial Fellowship Foundation (JMMFF) Freedom Pack

Have I forgotten about any other modern US commemorative coins with edge inscriptions? If I have, please post below!

FYI: Edge lettering/inscriptions on coins is certainly not limited to US coins. While I don't specifically collect such coins, I do have a few from Canada, France, Greece, Switzerland and the UK in my collection.

For more of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, check out: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
08/02/2021 2:50 pm
Learn More...
United States
103894 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!

Edge lettering on the commemorative issues does not bother me... What really grinds my gears is having the date and mint mark (only) on the edge. Worst. Idea. Ever.
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, I took out my 1992 proof commemorative. I could not see it. Is it on the proof or UNC and how big is it. Could you post a picture of it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6421 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, I took out my 1992 proof commemorative. I could not see it. Is it on the proof or UNC...

The edge-lettering is found on the uncirculated version of the coin, struck at the Denver Mint. It was not included on the proof version struck in San Francisco.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11269 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Edge lettering on the commemorative issues does not bother me... What really grinds my gears is having the date and mint mark (only) on the edge. Worst. Idea. Ever.

Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks commems, looks like I will be getting an UNC version.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6421 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...looks like I will be getting an UNC version.

Excellent!

Let us know what you think when you get it!

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 311Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05