Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Absolutely Hate It When A Seller Seems To Take Advantage Or Fool A Buyer

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 561Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3385 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  7:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I wanted (needed - still need) a 1979-S Type 2 Roosevelt Proof dime.

What I got is a type 1. It is not that hard to tell the difference between a type 1 and a type 2 coin of ANY denomination!

Here it the listing I bought the coin from:
eBay item number:133358338252

This is the coin I got

In the 2x2, outside the 2x2 (for a better clear pic), and a close-up using my microscope.

You spend a lot of time searching and searching trying to get the best (and CORRECT) coin you can find, buy it, then WAIT for it...., Then it comes in! All excited to have the coin finally, then BOOM! out comes the microscope, and it's a huge let down...
Edited by Dearborn
08/02/2021 9:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15976 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes ,you have every right to rant . The type 1 proof S mints are pathetic .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4181 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, you can return it. It's a 5 dollar coin, the seller might even tell you to just keep it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3385 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, you can return it. It's a 5 dollar coin, the seller might even tell you to just keep it.

Yes, I can, can't I? But that is not the point here. This seller did not provide what he/she advertised for.

I already messaged the seller to see what they will do next.

Quote:
Yes ,you have every right to rant . The type 1 proof S mints are pathetic .

Thanks T-BOP. Sometimes a good rant just feels GREAT!
I agree the type 1 was just a sloppy minting of coins that year (and 1981) And the Mint did it for all denominations too...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6568 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A simple mistake on the seller's part? Why rant before you know the details of what happened?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3385 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why rant before you know the details of what happened?

Well several reasons
1. It usually the reflexive reaction I get at first.
2. it helps to relieve my disappointment and the letdown I feel.
3. Well you fine folks are the only ones I can express this disappointment and clear my head before getting back to the seller.

Of which, I have just messaged them, stating what I got and what I expected (with photos). And because of my rant here, I was totally polite and reasonable in explaining what I saw from my end.
Now just waiting on a reply...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17517 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, you can return it.

If I was the seller I would refuse the return. The coin has been removed from the original holder. From the sellers point of view you could be the scammer trying to return a different coin. For the longest time in this hobby it was understood that if you removed a coin from a holder without permission the sale was considered final and it was not returnable.
Gary Schmidt
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you contact the seller as ask what's up with that?
Do you plan on returning it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3385 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin has been removed from the original holder. From the sellers point of view you could be the scammer trying to return a different coin

Well I guess it's a good thing I record (photograph) everything before doing anything to the stuff I buy.

that being said, the Seller said that he/she will send out another to me. They said nothing about the coin I got, so I offered to send it back on my own 'dime - (if you will).

So, venting was probably a bit pre-mature, but c'est la vie..
Pillar of the Community
United States
5616 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lessons abound. Onward!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9998 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Education is the key to collectors success!

A Motto of Coin Community Family Forums
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the Seller said that he/she will send out another to me

Quote:
...so I offered to send it back on my own 'dime - (if you will).
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 561Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05