Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pennies Should Be Done Away With In The USA

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,017Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4770 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  07:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I feel it's long overdue that the US Mint cease to produce pennies. As a cashier who opens lots of rolls I have a few observations.

1. Nobody wants them. Most leave the pennies in the take a penny tray.

2. Most rolls I open have VERY ugly and dirty/corroded coins. Is this how we want the USA presented?

3. People don't bother picking them up off the ground.

4. They cost more to produce than than the face value.

5. Canada ditched them and they didn't fall off the map. In fact a number of countries ditched them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5273 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This topic has been surfaced many times on this forum over the last several years--always a spirited debate. When you have time, search the forum for 'discontinued pennies', 'retired cents', or other similar terms. Much discussion.

Just one of many related topics:
http://goccf.com/t/331824
Edited by ijn1944
08/03/2021 07:54 am
Learn More...
United States
103571 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree 100%. The US cent should have been retired at the turn of the century at minimum, but even earlier than that if possible.

Stop minting Zincolns for circulation. Mint bronze Lincoln cents for proof and uncirculated Mint sets. Everyone wins.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rooksmith to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zinc pennies are like the self-destructing tape on the old Mission Impossible TV show. They Electrolytically attract other elements and give off an ion in exchange to bond (or corrode) with very little contact. They are the cheap batteries that leak and ruin your camera or flashlight.

Ironically that means that despite billions and billions made, only a small fraction will suruvive and be collectible. Theres no way to tell which ones are on the fast track to the coinstar graveyard except time, heat and a little moisture.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9945 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to suspect that it costs more to make one cent than it is worth and that somebody is making money on them being produced. Some of the cost has to go to wages and salaries. In some cases, very large salaries.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
6023 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Zinc lobbyists in Washington are the biggest roadblock to eliminating the cent. It's been that way a long time and it's not gonna change anytime soon!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1182 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JBuck beat me to it. The Kennedy was removed from circulation and still has a place in the mint/proof sets. So there's the solution.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
5273 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And there's more:
http://goccf.com/t/160656
Pillar of the Community
United States
3036 Posts
Learn More...
United States
103571 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm going to suspect that it costs more to make one cent than it is worth
It has been like this for about twenty years now.

Even if the material were free ("zinc from thin air!") the total cost still exceeds one cent per cent minted.

This says it all... when a bag of 100 plastic play pennies costs 627 real ones!

Pillar of the Community
United States
5273 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonder what the actual wholesale cost is on those plastic cents.
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be interesting if the cent was done away with. Being someone who only deals in cash, I am wondering how I will get my change when I get KFC. I will be stashing up the copper cents while I can! When the cent isn't used, they may lift the copper melting laws.

I always pick change up off of the ground. But, when I reach my hand into a Coinstar to pick up the leftovers, it is disgusting when I get a handful of cents stuck together by food and dirt.
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was told one time by someone in a pedantic manner, that there is no such thing as a penny in the USA. He said in the USA, they are cents. But then I looked on the US Mint website and they call them pennies there. So much for that idea.

Anyway, yes, get rid of the penny. Even though I have like a 20 pound bag of wheat pennies that I've accumulated over the years but never looked at them, I don't really like collecting pennies. Maybe I'd go for the Indian Head pennies, but haven't started that either. I do see that penny collecting seems very popular in this forum, though.

For that matter, they should probably get rid of the nickel as well, or at least change its composition.
Learn More...
United States
103571 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wonder what the actual wholesale cost is on those plastic cents.
I guarantee you it is > $1. Like I said, free material would still cost more than a cent to become a cent.

Quote:
Being someone who only deals in cash, I am wondering how I will get my change when I get KFC.
Ask any Canadian, they have been living without their cent almost ten years now.

Quote:
I was told one time by someone in a pedantic manner, that there is no such thing as a penny in the USA. He said in the USA, they are cents. But then I looked on the US Mint website and they call them pennies there. So much for that idea.
The USA does not have a nickel either... it is five cents... so yeah, the "no penny" argument is rubbish. Call it a penny, almost everyone will know what you meant... even the pedantic!

Quote:
For that matter, they should probably get rid of the nickel as well, or at least change its composition.
Preach!
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, in my opinion, the one and two dollar bills should be eliminated and replaced with coins. I hate to say that because two dollar bills are cool, but realistically we don't need them.
Learn More...
United States
103571 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,017Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05