Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943-S Steel Cent For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 333Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22764 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  1:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What would you grade this coin?

Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My personal opinion is no. They aren't that valuable. If it were the 1943s bronze one, then yes, since there are only like 5 of those known.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were asking if you would slab this coin. I can't see where to delete this message so...
Edited by HappyHippo
08/03/2021 2:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22764 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[/quote]Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were asking if you would slab this coin. I can't see where to delete this message so...
[/quote]

No, I would never slab a coin with value less than $150.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60682 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-64.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15859 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64 .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17122 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10527 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ms64
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't the scuff on the reverse at 5:30, the rim damage at 9:00, and the stain at 2:00 preclude MS status? On this forum coins with less damage were said to be AU.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5308 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example. I'm good with MS61. Reverse scuff isn't helpful. Cool die crack on the left stalk--to the rim.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10527 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Doesn't the scuff on the reverse at 5:30, the rim damage at 9:00, and the stain at 2:00 preclude MS status?

it does not preclude MS status. small scuffs, scratches etc can still be seen on higher MS grades. what you are looking for are signs of wear from circulation. you can even find an MS coin in circulation. keep in mind what MS means. its a numeric grade starting at 70 and deducting any abnormalities.

all coins are a representation of a perfect mint state coin. you could call a VF20 coin MS20. the old grading system (Sheldon) used similar categories but the newer numeric grading system implemented in the 70's allowed for more accurate grading and pricing. scratches, scuffs and abrasions are going to appear on every coin except those at MS70. so long as there is no sign of wear on a coin it can grade at MS60 or higher. if this coin was perfect it would grade MS70. the grades assessed above take into consideration those defects deducting them from the perfect 70
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 333Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05