Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 - S Morgan Dollar, You Vs NGC

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 731Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
633 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  3:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Results in approximately 48 hours. Who can hit the nail on the head?

Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61751 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-65RD.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5648 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not, MS66.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
849 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll say MS-65RD

Oh you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
685 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering the usual well-struck issue at hand, Ill put it at MS-65 with awesome toning.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2396 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To see the coin's surface better, I adjusted the photos by eliminating color, reducing light, sharpening contrast, and enlarging the images.

The obverse shows light bag marking above the eyelid, beneath the nostrils, in the field near the seventh left star, between the cap and the "M" of UNUM, a scratch from the ear lobe NW through the hair above the ear, and light pock marks on the cheek. IMHO, the obverse is a solid MS-65.

The reverse is excellent, There are light contact marks above the motto and near and between the rim and ONE. The central devices are spectacular. The reverse is a solid MS-66.

Without an eye appeal adjustment, the coin would net to MS-65+/MS-66.

Eye appeal is a tough component for this coin. While the reverse is spectacular, I do not see enough to adjust the net grade higher. Toning that is colorful and eye-pleasing to one person may be seen as blotchy by another. It is a subjective measure, to be sure. IMHO, any upward adjustment here would be more due to the toning than closeness to the next highest technical grade.

All things considered, I think this one would land at MS-65*
Pillar of the Community
United States
9955 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be the debbie downer, MS63
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smoke1439 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to make sure we have all reasonable grades covered, I'll go with MS-64.
Pillar of the Community
United States
879 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will say MS-63 though its hard to see whats toning and whats marks I will admit but I like it
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3116 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basing primarily on the reverse since I can't make out much through that obverse toning, I'll say MS65, but won't be surprised by MS64
Pillar of the Community
United States
1088 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to side with dave700x and say MS-63.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10704 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2021  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 81(S) should be sharp and bold. this one is a tad weak around the ear and breast. the blotchy toning will drop it a notch for eye appeal. it appears that there are numerous scuffs, abrasions and some scratches under that toning but its impossible to tell for certain how much. MS63 maybe 64 but I cant see at 65
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1093 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to go with MS-65
Valued Member
United States
413 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2021  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely ms65rd!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 731Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05