Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Collection Of IHCs?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 402Next Topic  
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  8:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pineapple to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello
I was wondering what to start collecting I am really interested in Indian heads. Should I just go for a complete series regardless of grade or do another coin all together?
Also should I just store them in a binder or those paper things with the plastic(I cant remember the name sorry)?
Also I feel like this should go here but if not I am sorry.

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
4209 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only you can make that decision, I have a set of Indian Head cents in an album and partial sets that are slabbed and in 2 by 2.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4209 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can check out my collection here;

http://goccf.com/t/370239
Learn More...
United States
20930 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pine, first welcome to CCF. Second, at least some of that decision will be made by how much you are looking to spend. I agree though that this series is a fun one.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61659 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree. Your budget will be the defining factor.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, with everyone here so far... My set is mostly complete with like 4 missing, the 1870, 1871, 1877 (of course), and the 1909-S. I got lucky on a number of them in the earlier years being higher grade without spending an arm and a leg. Yeah, it is a fairly difficult set with the keys and some of the semi keys.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pineapple to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MrWhatIsIt is 1877 a key date and on the low end are they valuable?

Also thanks everyone for your ideas so far!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19128 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The average condition level at which you build your set will depend on your budget level for individual coins. Think carefully. because that will determine your basic strategy.

When it comes to storage and display, toning may be important to you. For higher average condition, I would suggest Mylar / cardboard coin flips, in 20 pocket polypropylene or Mylar coin pages.
If you ever have to sell them many years later, it will be collectors just like yourself that are intent on searching for for individual coins, not completed collections, hence my suggestion for the above storage approach.

Buy yourself a labelling machine that is capable of tiny lettering - these can be obtained from office supply stores. You are then in a position to add the history to the 2x2 in a neat manner. This information should include:-
When bought
how much was paid for it
mint mark
date.
your estimate of condition, seller's estimate of condition
special comments relating to the coin.

This information is important to each individual coin.
Can't do any of these things with a premade album - or with slabs, for that matter.

IHC's 1860 are copper nickel, not bronze so see if you can obtain examples that show the color off nicely.
I would also be tempted to include Flying Eagle cents, to help show off the collection.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This sort of general approach to collecting a set of any American individual coin type, be they dimes, nickels or whatever, where the average value of individual coins is still far too low to justify slabbing.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61659 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pineapple - if you do not already understand that 1877 is a key date, then I think you need to do a great deal more studying before venturing into this field.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pineapple to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realize that 1877 is a key date I just saw one for dirt cheap the other day and it caught me by surprise! The ones I know about right now are 1877 1888 over 7 and the 1909 s. I do have a long way to go but I am fascinated by this! If it is of high value I am figuring out getting it shipped because from what I've read there have possibly only been 100 thousand made.
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the others about the condition of the coins. If you are going for a brilliant uncirculated set, then the collection should be held in the slabs (plastic grading holders) that they are purchased in.
If you are going for a lower grade, average circulated set, then a Dansco Album is a great place to store coins. Or a simple binder with pages that hold 2x2's. I use Dansco albums for every series.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 402Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05