Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possibly Gold-Plated 1826 UK Shilling

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 337Next Topic  
United Kingdom
23 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  05:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinsaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I have this shilling that looks like it is gold plated, I would like more information on this, such as weather this actually is gold plated and if this is common for these coins. Thanks.
Edited by Coinsaurus
08/14/2021 07:00 am
New Zealand
46 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chedee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest taking it along to a second-hand jewellery shop and asking them to test it. Would like to know how you got on
United Kingdom
23 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinsaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know any places like that near me but I will have a look, thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
680 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems to have been a fairly common practice - I have a similar one dated 1825:

Valued Member
United Kingdom
85 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it was quite common to plate coins with gold for use in jewellery. But since it was not done by The Royal Mint, and the gold wouldn't be worth the cost of recovering it, it's often considered damage.
United Kingdom
23 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinsaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3012 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What does it have to do with the weather, its a gilt plated coin.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
848 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2021  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

What does it have to do with the weather, its a gilt plated coin.

Tut tut.. PT - shouldn't that be "it's".
"Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones".

BTW - You will send yourself to an early grave trying to correct a perceived cold blooded murder of the English tongue. I used to get cranky (still do sometimes) with terms such as "he goes" (in reference to talking), "my bad" etc etc. I was simply... . You cannot change it and I'm sure there are plenty of cases where our forebears would be turning in their graves if they heard us speak our 'good' English. English is an evolving language that you or I can't stop.

My continuing pet peeves? ATM machine and PIN number.
Edited by David Graham
08/23/2021 5:05 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 337Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05