Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Unc ASE Type I Question

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,185Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
82 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  2:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pkluck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So the mint never released an ASE UNC type I (at least not on their website but sent directly to dealers?) but they are releasing an ASE UNC type II in Sept, is that normal? So confused with so many ASE this year.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6738 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is that normal?

Is what normal? This is the first time in the ASE's history that it has changed design - there really isn't a "normal" to compare this year against. The Mint has not struck an Uncirculated version of the ASE every year, so not striking a 2021 Type I is not completely unprecedented.

If you can be more specific with your question, I'm sure we can help you.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint did a bullion version of the ASE type 1, not an uncirculated/burnished version.
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The millions of uncirculated bullions are released in monster boxes/tubes only to a few major wholesale dealers, who sell them to others, they are not available on the Mint site. The Mint is going to sell a 2021 ASE UNC type 2 Sept. 9 in individual boxes directly to consumers. Seems like the Mint decided to release this because of the new reverse. I assume the finish will be somewhat different than the bullion, like prior type 1 variations, burnished?
Edited by livingwater
08/14/2021 10:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6738 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The OP does not appear to be talking about the bullion issues.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the OP is confusing the uncirculated bullion and the burnished/uncirculated. The mint made the bullion uncirculated for both type I and type II. It appears that type II will be the only burnished product.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2021  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ase have confused me too. I lost track reading a news report 3 weeks ago.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pkluck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your responses. I wasn't familiar with uncirculated bullion vs burnished/uncirculated I thought they were the same thing. Wondering why the mint didn't make a burnished type I?
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2021  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Mint did not make ASE burnished or enhanced versions every year. To celebrate the 20th ann. ASE burnished were first released 2006 and other years, enhanced in 2019. The Mint authorities/committees decide when/what to release each year. For the Mint to make two different ASE reverses in the same year is a rare occurance for most coin/bullion types. This and the 100th ann. release of Morgan/Peace dollars has made a highly interesting year for collectors. They released an UNC ASE 2020 type 1 in individual box, but not for 2021. Production of the type 1 bulk bullion ended in April.
Edited by livingwater
08/15/2021 12:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4128 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When one goes about to obtain at the very least one each of the ASE made/minted it difficult to know the what's and when of each kind (Proofs are easy) of uncirculated/burnished and burnished. Is there an up to date comprehensive list of all the ASE's that were released?
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pkluck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Question, what is the difference between UNC ASE (non-burnished) sold by the mint directly to consumers vs. bullion ASE sold in bulk to dealers? Besides packaging?
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pkluck - bullion does not have a mint mark and the one on the mint website does.
Edited by Eagle4Life
08/17/2021 10:41 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1588 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the confusion comes because there was speculation that because the 2020 W uncirculated finish didn't expressly say "last of this design" so there was speculation they might make an Uncirculated finish 2021 in type 1 and type 2, like they did with the W proof.

on the S proof from 2020 they wrote in the description "don't miss this chance to purchase the final issue of the American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin (S) with its original reverse design!"

2021 W proof from earlier this year said same "don't miss your chance to purchase the final edition of the American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin (W) with its original reverse design! "

type 1 2021 W uncirculated finish didn't happen at all, only the type 2. 2020W was the last year of issue for uncirculated type 1.

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Western Sage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most important difference between the 2021 ASE bullion unc and the numismatic unc is that the bullion variety has no mint mark and the numismatic variety has a W mint mark.
Learn More...
United States
106423 Posts
Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the no mint mark 2021 ASE is a good purchase, if so where can I buy the last and the first from without worry about getting something not real. from a dealer if you guys know of one.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,185Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: