Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Barber Half Dollar (1905 O)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 887Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  12:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is my first Barber half dollar and my first Barber coin as well. Please excuse the poor picture quality as I am using my cell phone camera at this time. She is from 1905. She has been graded by ANACS (G6) but I had to crop the slab out to try to get it to upload. Oh, and her mint? New Orleans. I know, maybe not the best specimen but I couldn't turn her down.

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it! Congratulations, and enjoy!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  04:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you
Learn More...
United States
20882 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a great first step into the Barber half dollar series. Is it your first O mintmark too?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be accurately graded. I have an almost complete collection of these (still searching for an 1892 O) in G-F. The 1905 O was one of the hardest to find in that range and at a good price. It was a long search. I like your example. Great start!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15964 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow the 1905-O Half Dollar was my very first coin I received to start me off on my life long journey into the world of coins . Congrats on your piece. BTW only 505,000 minted that year at New Orleans .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61552 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Handsome example for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
615 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a good specimen! I have a 1907-O that I picked out of a junk silver bin for cheap in around the same shape.
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Learn More...
United States
104816 Posts
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it's my first O mint mark too. :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7273 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice start to a Barber half collection.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fyi I looked at this coin under two different loupes, one regular 30x and one with LED. Both showed a scratch just over where the ear lobe would be, which I believe to be very superficial. That being said, I also feel that the ANACS grade is accurate.&
Learn More...
United States
104816 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aquiring a "first" is always exciting, no matter what stage of collecting you're at.

I still remember the first "S" mint mark coin I found in circulation when I started collecting as a kid in the '60's (I lived on the east coast at the time), and being so excited about it. My first "CC" coin was a Morgan dollar my grandmother gave me around '71. Now, as an old collector I'm hunting for my first "C" and "D" (Dahlonega) mint mark gold coins, and whenever I get either I'll be excited again!
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm trying to remember what the C and CC stand for. I know they are mint marks but I can't recall where. Seems like one was in the Carolinas.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 887Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05