Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Morgan! Can Anyone Identify The VAM?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,287Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  05:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My first Morgan dollar. I read about the VAM but do not know enough about it to tell if I have one. I took the pics with my cell phone. My copy stand is not set up yet.

Edited by MissyLynn
09/04/2021 05:58 am
Valued Member
United States
490 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on your first Morgan, it is a Beauty.

VAMWorld would be a good place to look and see which VAM your Morgan may be.

Here is the link - http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...VAMs_by_Date
Valued Member
United States
490 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This will take you to some great info on VAM's, it is a page here on CCF.

https://www.coincommunity.com/us_mo...is-a-vam.asp
Pillar of the Community
United States
5580 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Suggest carefully flattening the staples in your 2x2, or remove the coin entirely and place it in a capsule or new 2x2 using a stapler which flattens staples automatically. Nice coin.
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Morgan. Warning, they can become addictive. Enjoy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
616 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Pillar of the Community
United States
9952 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the first of what could be many more!
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a really nice, original Morgan. I like to old toning. Hard to tell from the pics but could be a toned unc.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2021  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a really nice, original Morgan. I like to old toning. Hard to tell from the pics but could be a toned unc.

Thank you. The seller said at LEAST extremely fine, but it has not been formally graded. I do plan on getting it graded and slabbed at some point. I'm not sure that I will go with conservation services, as I really like it as it is!
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the record, I used tweezers and gently pulled the staples out. I was afraid they were quite close to the coin. Other than that, I used the same flip it was sent in, and taped it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I wouldn't have it conserved. I like original, unhampered toning. I only consider conservation if there are crusty spots or really ugly toning. But that's just me.
Learn More...
United States
104816 Posts
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  02:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so I looked at what they have on VAM World and here is what I found out about my Morgan. On the reverse she has a short nock and a broken R in trust. So I have...something. The broken R does not show up on my cell phone camera but does show up on a 30x loupe with LED. I'm not sure what I have, as VAM World says this may have existed at one point, but may actually be something else.

I really need to master photography.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9952 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the fourth right star is broken so the attached link takes you to the attribution guide for this combination. I think your coin has the full triangle shaped serif. If so that is the link you want. The next step would be the B in PLURIBUS, broken or no.

http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/4th_Ri...ark_Location
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MissyLynn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's no break in the B even at 30x but maybe I'm not seeing something. And I think you're correct. Looks like a full triangle R.
Edited by MissyLynn
09/06/2021 9:52 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,287Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05