Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need More Help! Experimental 1945 Proof Cent? "Rty" In Liberty Are Larger

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 506Next Topic  

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  01:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mtia3214 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
They didnt make proof sets in 1945...? This cent has a deep mirror finish with die marks on the reverse.

Edited by mtia3214
09/07/2021 12:47 am
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtia3214 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And yes the RTY in LIBERTY are bigger. Thanks in advance for your input.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41180 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Looks like a copper plated coin,after it left the mint.
Weight? Diameter?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
09/06/2021 04:53 am
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtia3214 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
weight is 3.10 grams, diameter is 19mm... thank you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15946 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's not a proof coin . Copper plated business strike .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just a plated coin.
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61386 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or it might possibly have been lacquered.
Pillar of the Community
United States
732 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it may have been heavily buffed or whizzed. I think the buffing may have distorted some of the details.
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtia3214 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are the larger "RTY" in LIBERTY seen commonly in US cents? I cant remember ever seeing that and I dont understand why anyone would copper plate a copper penny... and then buff it to a mirror finish without destroying the devices? Its difficult to get a sharp photo with the mirror finish... the reflection behind the date and under LIBERTY is my phone, taking the photo. Is there anyway to find out if the mint experimented making proofs in1945? Those are die marks on the reverse? Who would YOU send the coin to for attribution/investigation...any coin? Who is the best and for which coins? I'm not meaning to beat a dead horse here, just want to learn as much as I can. Thank you.
Valued Member
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  01:43 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is an extremely extremely extremely low chance you just found the first proof 1945 Wheat cent known. You could send the coin off to PCGS or NGC, but it would be a waste of time and money.

People do the weirdest things to coins. This is still a plated Wheat cent, which is considered damage. It doesn't look buffed to me, just damaged through circulation.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41180 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mtia3214,
If you feel you must send it in send it to ANACS,anacs.com. They charge the least,but as stated it is most likely PMD.If you do end up sending it in,please post full slab photos front and back when you get it back...thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3289 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It may be very shiny, but it is not a flat mirror surface that a proof coin would have. I would have to say it was either lacquered or buffed up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5541 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe I'm seeing a somewhat ham-handed plating job perpetrated on an innocent '45 wheat cent--buffing included. I've seen a few 1940s wheat cents just like this one over the years--very heavy, crude plating.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53864 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They didn't strike proof cents that year:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin has been polished with brasso. All Marines know that shine. And the big rty is common on cents.
Edited by Cujohn
09/07/2021 7:15 pm
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtia3214 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all... learning from all of you!! I appreciate the knowledge.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 506Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05