Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1995 D Missing Copper Plating

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 472Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  4:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Singing had a post about his, I don't think this is caused by heat.
These 6 are the best I pulled out of OBW rolls. I've got about a roll and a half of them. I'm thinking when they are in the electroplating tubes they stick together and don't get plated. Then when they do get minted, the little copper that does get plated splits. Sorry about the pictures, best I can do.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68842 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dr. coop has mentioned, as I recall, that this can be done with a cigarette lighter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8508 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to read up on the planchet prep process again. I haven't heard of electroplating tubes filled with individual blank planchets (presumably zinc) for a copper plating step.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog, how would it be posable to heat up a bunch of coins, with a cigarette lighter one at a time, then put them in a OBW roll. ijn1944. The way I understand, They are tumbled in "tubs" to electroplate them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2834 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From OBW roll?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68842 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't see the original OBW comment below the images, just passing along what I've read on similar-looking coins.
Edited by Coinfrog
09/06/2021 6:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Maybe not OBW but a string roll. Most people Think they are from a bank.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya Coinfrog it has to be from something else. Don't know what but with finding a lot of them in new rolls, I'd like to get more of an explaination other than heat.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2990 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YxMP3c_Nhzg

Here's that copper plating video for those that haven't seen the plastic rotating tubs they are in when they are plated with copper.

The thing that I don't see on these is any mint luster. Supposedly, mint luster is still visible on unplated coins.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
09/06/2021 7:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pete, Thank you for the video. Couldn't remember where I seen it. Ya there is no shine to them. I went back and looked almost all of the coins in the rolls either have split plating, orange peel, pox, or plating bubbles. There is little flecks of copper plating all over where most of it's missing. I took the middle left cent, and you can see a line from 3:30 to 10:30. It was a linear plating bubble, some of it was copper some of it was zinc. They pop like a regular bubble. I'm thinking the blanks didn't get washed good enough. Had zinc dust on them, or chemicals that wouldn't let the copper build up enough. When they were minted the bad plating flaked off.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 472Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: