Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

PVC Residue On Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 574Next Topic  

Germany
39 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  1:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stgaudens to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I have just recently learned about the problem of PVC residue on coins. Now I am a little bit paranoid as many of the circulated coins in my collection show some kind of surface residue/dirt and I don't know if it's PVC. How can I check if my coins have PVC residue?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62758 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's start with some pics!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best way to remove Residue is with acetone.
If the coins have already toned to black, there is not much that can be done to redeem them.

With PVC album pages, residue much of a lesser problem than the gassing out of the softeners that make PVC soft and pliable.
Quite often, this gassing out can be noticed by the PVC becoming oily and the coins darkening as they tone. Copper coins can end up appearing as black disks if left unattended over a period of years. - A good way of ruining a nice set of red or attractively brown toned Cents in high condition.

Another problem is that the Mylar plastic of 2x2 flips can end up sticking solid to the degraded PVC plastic of the album page. When this happens the 2x2 flips have to be replaced, which can be a major problem if you have hundreds of coins and each 2x2 has a full written description of the coin in it.

It is for these reasons that PVC album pages should not be used for the long term permanent storage of coins.

Archival quality album pages made of Mylar or polypropylene do not cause any of the abovementioned problems, and are not very much more expensive to buy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3455 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PVC residue can be invisible at first, so the easiest solution is to bathe any coins you're concerned about in pure acetone to remove any PVC. That should be safe for the coins regardless of whether they were exposed to PVC.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62758 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's sound advice.
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't stress too much unless you stored the coins in PVC flips or albums for a long time in a warm and moist climate.
PVC can look like a haze or vivid green.
Here's a hazy coin: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ccg-corpor...02oBA_tb.jpg
Learn More...
Australia
13914 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a couple of very general "rules of thumb":
- PVC residue is green. Copper is the element usually involved in PVC reaction, and most copper corrosion byproducts are green-coloured. So if a coin is copper, bronze, brass or diluted silver, and has bits of green on it, and is less than 500 years old, then it's possible that it's PVC damage. It could of course be ordinary environmental corrosion, so see the other tests below. Metals that do not react strongly with acids (such as gold, high-purity silver and pure nickel) are less prone to being affected by PVC.
- PVC residue is sticky. If the green stuff, or the coin generally, "feels sticky" and not like a normal coin from change, then PVC is a likely reason.
- PVC-affected coins "smell plasticky".
- If a coin has been sitting in a PVC coin album page for a long time, then a "shadow" of the coin is often visible in the album page after the coin is removed.
- Finally, PVC residue washes off in acetone, or other organic solvents. If the green goo comes off in acetone, then it was PVC.

"PVC damage" is caused when acidic plasticizers in the PVC slowly leach out of the plastic, and onto the coin. The acid reacts with the surface of the coin at the point of contact with the plastic. For coins that have not had too much exposure to the PVC, the damage is minimal. But for badly affected coins, the damage is irreversible. Acetone can remove the PVC goo and prevent further damage from happening, but the damage already done cannot be undone. This might be seen as discolouration, and in the "hazing" or dulling of reflective surfaces on high-grade coins.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Germany
39 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stgaudens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

From my collection, I am most suspicious about this coin. Do you think it has PVC? I can not test if it smells or is sticky as it is a graded coin...

Someone here said that PVC residue can be invisible at first... does that mean that any of my coins, also the graded ones, can be affected and there is no way to know for sure? That sounds pretty scary to me as from what I've heard, PVC can ruin a coin...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3455 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any signs of PVC damage, just typical toning. And PVC is much less likely to affect a silver coin than a copper one. I certainly wouldn't break a graded coin out of its holder just to check.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...does that mean that any of my coins, also the graded ones, can be affected?

I believe the short answer is yes. PCGS and NGC will not holder coins with PVC residue, but (for example), NGC has the following disclaimer in their guarantee:

From the NGC Guarantee, part of Section 8a -

Quote:
In certain Coins, natural environmental deterioration may cause undesired features to appear, such as (but not limited to) spotting, hazing, PVC and corrosion. Therefore, this Guarantee does not apply to Coins exhibiting any of these issues.
Germany
39 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stgaudens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Zurie: the coin has a nice toning but it also has some kind of dirt or residue around the lettering... its visible for example on WIL of Wilhelm. Could that be PVC residue or just harmless dirt?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3455 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The area around the letters WIL on the obverse looks okay to me, but after enlarging the image, there's a slight greenish tinge over the hair and on his knees on the reverse. It looks a little suspicious, but I'm not sure. I always rinse my coins in acetone before sending them off for grading just to avoid this kind of conundrum. If it straight graded, my inclination would still be to leave it in the holder.
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All green is not PVC damage. Looks like normal toning to me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20470 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As so many have already stated, just dip in Acetone.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17555 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All green is not PVC damage.

True, most is probably from copper reacting to salts and skin oils
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 574Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: