Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Searching Your Rolls

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 413Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
90 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  1:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bestjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When y'all get rolls do you just look for silver or do you check every single coin for errors and such? I've got 2 boxes of half's, went through and organized by date while checking for silver and now have 2 boxes of quite nicely organized half's from 71-2001. There's 2 more boxes at my bank I wanna get but not sure if I should go through each individual coin before exchanging or get the other 2 and check all 4 boxes? And I doi believe these have been gone through as they're customer rolled and a whole lot were already dated rolls. Some were random dates when opened.
Learn More...
United States
105088 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When y'all get rolls do you just look for silver or do you check every single coin for errors and such?
When I roll searched it was the latter. I wanted to get the most out the rolls I could get.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I check every coin too.
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add singing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every coin :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
789 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you have to find your happy place when searching and why you are doing it, it's going to be different with everyone. I have went about things in a very peculiar way but it has worked for me, somewhat....

My interest was 1st peeked by a 1914-D cent that sold for $5000 and I thought, that's pretty cool! I went on a short bend with cents and then ran across Morgan silvers dollars and fell in love! Still, to this day, my favorite coin I've ever searched. I did this for 6 years until it nearly broke me, financially and then fell all the way back to the Lincoln cent.

Lot's of deviations along the way but I have found that every denomination has it's thing. There are varieties, errors, transitional errors/varieties, special finishes,better dates/mm and so much more.

At the end of the day, the more you educate yourself about what you are searching, the more you will find, don't become complacent, with one particular thing to look for but look for as much as you can, when searching a particular denomination, year, mm, you will find there are patterns. I suggest sticking with a particular denomination though and learning them well, instead of going all willy nilly like I did.

The thing that drew me in at first, was finding something worth a bunch but as time has went on, I found I just liked to search and find things, whatever they may be. Believe it or not, the penny/cent, has probably taught me more than any other coin I've searched but that's probably because of the cost of doing business and could spend more time with it.
Just my take on your question.
-makecents-
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bestjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a pretty daunting task that's for sure. I picked up the other 2 boxes. I can sit on them so I guess I'll be here a while. And makecents I'm not sure really what I'm into yet. The Morgan's I got out of the only dollar roll I think available in the state really got me going. So I went to the next size smaller which is the Kennedy half's. They're intriguing enough with the chance of silver. Now I need to research key dates and variety and errors. And now I think to myself I've got 4000 coins to check. Am I crazy or what?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1944 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by ratman4762
09/13/2021 10:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4198 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't search every coin. If I sit down with 75,000 dimes, I need to get it done in 2-3 hours, then get back out there for more. I can search and re-roll 50 dimes in under ten seconds. When you've searched almost one million dimes you get the hang of it ;)
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tencentpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am hoping to get a box of dimes from my bank; they already offered to order a cent box and a nickel box, despite the coin shortage. I mainly only look for silver; I usually edge search.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 413Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05