Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 D Nickel: DDO-001 / DDR-009 / RPM-006? Die Clashing On Obverse And Reverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 244Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  2:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coindom76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This 1964D Nickel appears to be a match for variety vistas DDO / DDR/RPM mentioned in the posts title. There also appears to be die clashing on the obverse and reverse of this 1964D nickel. When looking at the mint mark I was trying to keep in my mind the markings that would exist on this 1964D nickel as a result of the DDO and DDR dies. I believe it is a match to Variety Vistas RPM-006 and Wexlers WRPM-001. Although above the mint mark there appears to be a strong die gouge/gouges. I am not seeing the gouges mentioned in any of the listings so I am not sure? Any information or input from the community regarding this 1964D Nickel would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Coindom76

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I see no evidence if a cent variety on your coin. Just coin wear/die wear/coin contact. The 1964 nickels had the largest production numbers:
1964-D 1,787,297,160 7X move than 1963-D.
1964 1,024,672,000 (including proof nickels) 6X more than the 1963 nickels.
So they are very common coins and went through a lot circulation. Ramped up production for the 1965-1967 crunch for silver being pulled from circulation coins.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears the mint mark has taken a hit and has flattened it and distorted it to some degree. I'm not seeing any resemblance of any type of RPM, sorry.
Learn More...
United States
20601 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coin, are you seeing what looks like a faint letter S in the area immediately above the mintmark?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a mintmark. There were no 'S' mintmark after 1955 till 1968-S The mint was closed from 1955-1965 (made cents from 1965-1967 with no mintmarks. 1968-1974 there were business strike "S" mintmarks. Along with proof strikes from 1968-S forward. (Some Proof coins are struck at West Point mint and one I know of from Philadelphia. (1999-P proof SBA)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
09/11/2021 3:50 pm
Learn More...
United States
20601 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you @coop, but rather I am trying to better understand what the OP is seeing so that we can help them more than just telling them it is damage.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coindom76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence, Yes, I was referring to the area above the mint mark. It did at first look like an S. That is not, possible, probable as both yourself and Coop mentioned the mint was not in operation in 1964. It does appear to be well placed and of the appropriate mint mark size. Seems odd that it would be perfectly placed damage. I do appreciate the feedback from the community.
Thanks
Coindom76
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also if it were a mintmark, it would be raised a lot more.

If it is level with the fields, it is just a stain.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coindom76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop, I agree with that Coop. The direct mint mark on this nickel has no raised area attached but blemished area above it is actually raised up above field height.
@coop, That is what caught my eye on the 1957D nickels mint mark that I posted earlier today.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I see above the mintmark is either plate blistering or lamination issues.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the center of the mintmark? The normal shape is distorted. It took a hit on the NE corner and was altered. Normal mintmark that was damaged.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What I see above the mintmark is either plate blistering or lamination issues.

Please note: This is not a copper plated Lincoln (Zincoln), nor a copper alloy coin. Plate blistering or lamination issues would not occur on a Jefferson nickel. Just FYI.
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coindom76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Bumpkin, I agree, it is not a lamination issue. I wonder if what the mark above the mint mark is? I also wonder if was involved in the flattered look of the mint mark?
If you look to the left of the mint mark, there are three thin die cracks traveling through montecello. One runs low, in the small window, then exits montecello to the right then in the the left side of the mint mark and out the right. The second runs up higher in the window before exiting and traveling through the lower blemish/mark above the mint mark. The last crack runs above the two lower cracks
before exiting and traveling through the upper area of the mark above the mint mark.
The mint mark appears spread /flattened but it's strong to be worn down, as far as being raised up off the field. Thanks again everyone.
Coindom76
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05