Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Old New Zealand Stock Book - What A Difference 35 Years Makes!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 213Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  4:23 pm Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pasted in below are a couple of pages selected from the 1983 Eccles "catalogue" and price list for New Zealand coins, which I used back then to keep track of my "vast holdings." Yeoman numbers were still the standard, as the Krause-Mishler leviathan hadn't totally taken over the world coins cataloging business by that point. Prices were in New Zealand dollars...amazing how cheap things were then, but I'm not sure if I'd still be amazed if I took the trouble to calculate the effects over 35 years of both monetary inflation and the NZ-US currency exchange rate.

At that time I was busy buying world silver at melt and filling up my Dansco Supreme albums for NZ, Australia, Fiji, Japan, Mexico, etc., and Whitman Classic albums (GB, Victoria, New Guinea) too, which also featured those plastic slides. This little booklet was the permanent record of my New Zealand holdings as of about 1985, as I recall. I never did find a Waitangi crown I could afford, but I completed most of the type and date sets I kept in those albums. Can't be totally sure about NZ as I haven't looked at any of the ones that have been locked up (held in trust as part of my estate) in a West Coast bank vault for about 22 years...maybe next time I'm out that way.

Anyway, enjoy the ride on my time machine!

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4273 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm... Even then they were quite a bit more for VF+. New Zealand coins were well-used.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3025 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really cool! Yes the early 1980s saw our coins at skytoppical prices!

Some of those coins are cheaper today. Oriole - you are right, many NZ silver coins were excessively worn and today survive mostly in Good to Fine condition with most being Good to Very Good. They were used through to 1967 as despite govt attempts to remove them, they were used and no one hoarded them as being only 50% silver, they most remained worth more face than melt value in the period!

I have spent lots of time and effort just getting a complete run of them in VF condition, which is doable - but takes time. Getting them in EF condition is harder.

1933 EF Halfcrown, this cost me $80 (Down from $110).
You can get one for about $7 - $10 in VG, $12 in Fine, $25 in VF, $40 in gVF and above EF think $250 for AU and probably $500 or more for truly UNC.

Anyway I have a MUCH older catalogue to show you all.

1966 and 1967!

Prices in 1966 (1/- = 10 cents, 1 = $2)

This dude even told us what was in demand back then.

There was a rash of these around 1966/67 as we switched to dollars and cents and there was a fad through going through your change and pulling out "rare" and "silver" coins, even though the new coins were all muck metal and all 1947 onwards coins and Pennies/Halfpennies were muck metal anyway (1949 crowns never really circulated).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 213Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05