Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Expertise On Proof American Silver Eagles - Ebay Scammer?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 444Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  6:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nick31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a long one, my apologies...

First time selling a coin on ebay and first issue with a buyer, ever. I recently bought 2 of the 2021 Proof ASE's Type 2 (San Francisco). I always buy one of these for my wife for Christmas/bday. I bought an extra one just for fun and possibly sell. I later saw they were selling for $150 on ebay. I decided to put one aside to sell. I put it up for $140 best offer. It sold within a day. The guy gets it and says that the coin has a scuff on it.

He stated he wanted to get it graded and stated, "I also tried to take a picture of the mark but with my camera it's not really that good so you can't see it in the picture it's not like it's very noticeable unless your really looking at the coin and have it at the right angle but it's enough that there is no point in trying to get it graded it would be a PF69"
At the end of the message he asks for a return and says, "cause I bought it to get graded and I can't because of the mark on the coin"

I told him I don't offer returns and didn't think a return could be warranted as this supposed scuff didn't show up on any photos I posted, nor did I see it before I sent it to him. The coin was perfect to me! (here's my ebay link of the ad: https ://www. ebay.com/itm/294378178726 )

He is now backing away from the whole grading thing and clinging onto it's damaged and not as described.

Is there any other information those with more knowledge on ASE's? Is this typical to have minor imperfections on these proofs that can only be seen from select angles? Or any helpful articles/info I can provide ebay later with to prove to this guy he has no grounds for a refund?

I feel he has no case and when I called ebay, they were siding with me, but said my only option is to accept the return then escalate the case once I get the coin back. For those who sell coins on ebay, is this typical buyer behavior for coins of this nature?

I attached his photo and my two photos (the one is a little blurry but took a screenshot off a video since it was the only pic with the mirrored finish angle)

Edited by nick31
09/11/2021 6:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6024 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My advice is accept the return and move on. This is a battle you cannot win.

eBay will side with the Buyer 99.99% of the time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40856 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3540 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes of course it is possible to have marks that can only be seen at certain angles. and all of these will grade 69-70.. Sounds like the guy was hoping to cherry pick a 70..

Bad news now, and yes I have been selling on ebay for many years..Saying No Returns doesn't mean No refunds..
So you are best to accept the return, and issue a refund when you get the coin back..
Don't listen to eBay when they say you are right. If the buyer wants to return it and you say no, the buyer will escalate the case, and if you haven't provided a return label, they will issue the buyer a complete refund and you will be out your money and the coin..

Or the buyer will do a charge back against you, and same scenario you will lose the case and be out both the coin and the money..

Do yourself a favour and just accept the return..
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silverwolf - thank you for the input.

Yes, I have accepted the return, it was my only choice.

After speaking with an ebay resolution supervisor and hearing what he had to say I am still planning on escalating the case as a seller for this buyer abusing the ebay guarantee policy.

Just seeing what other information/talking points I can scrounge up to give me a better case at putting this guy in his place for what he's trying to pull off.

I don't know if I just have to put in the listing for now on, "may have minor blemishes/marks from the mint"...?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3540 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"may have minor blemishes/marks from the mint".

Yes, great photos will always help. But at the end of the day, the buyer can say I didn't look closely at the photos..

Always accept a return on a coin, or you will risk losing it..

Remember if the buyer isn't happy for whatever reason eBay will usually side with the buyer..

And if eBay doesn't.. their credit card company will always side with them..

Best of luck.. and be sure to report the buyer, after you get your coin back,,

Not sure it does any good, but it certainly doesn't hurt..
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proof coins directly from the US Mint can have some damage. A friend of mine buys a lot of proofs from the US Mint. He has sent some back on occasion due to scuffs, scratches.

I recently bought a proof ASE 2021 type 2 on eBay. The seller said he got it from US Mint release day. When I got it I saw a couple small scratches by the obv. edge. Couldn't see it until I used a magifier. I thought of returning it but decided to keep it. Don't plan on sending for grading.

I assume some coins on eBay are grading rejects.
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
883 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, block this buyer on your Ebay account. I've had the same problem a few times.
issue the refund and block them from placing bids for anything you have listed
in the future.
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sell Pokemon cards and rarely coins/gun parts on ebay and any person that gives me issues with, immediate block. I have taken losses before but I think that buyer is being unreasonable. Accept the return and dont give a refund until you receive the coin and verify that it is the coin you sent in the same condition it was sent in.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To some of the replies...I'm not one to just kneel down and accept this type of behavior and lack of decency.

We shall see what happens though. I got the coin back yesterday. I reported him and now have to wait until 9/20 where it will go into eBay's hands for a decision.

He DEFINITELY opened the capsule, there was a very small mark on the outside of the plastic capsule that you can see right above his green circle on the top-right. This tiny mark was right on top of "GOD" when I sent it to him and it showed up on my other photo I took prior to packaging it.

He of course denies everything and stated, "If there is damage on a coin you must list the damage on the coin on ebay it doesn't matter if it came from the mint you need to list it on ebay saying there is any damage weather it is toning , scratches , spots , scuff marks ."

So pretty much everyone who sells a coin from the Mint MUST inspect it with a magnifying glass to find any possible imperfections and note it accordingly...okay...

To be completely honest, I never noticed this tiny "blemish" on the coin and it never showed up on any of the photos I took. I believe it's the same coin; I just wasn't attempting to scrutinize every square millimeter, at every angle, in every direction of light - as no one should be expected to either.

He's just mad because he said it'll be a PF69 and not a PF70 and can't make money off a flip now.

I also sent a link to eBay from a thread in another coin forum where this seller (silvercoins6969) was selling a counterfeit coin.

Said in my message that I'm not saying he did it knowingly or not, but wanted that information out there for my case.

He was mad and replied back: "Wow your really trying to dig up fake news on what ever you can . What does that have to do with you selling a damaged coin?"

I hope ebay does the right thing and can see what this guy is trying to pull. This was the first and most likely last time I'll ever pick up a extra coin from the Mint (to sell and help my ROI).
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You sold it as a OGP ASE not a PF69 or PF70. So report them and include that they are wanting more than what was purchased.

Well now that you received the coin, you can refund up to the amount paid, but since you show that those marks were not on the coin before, you can deduct from the refund for loss of value on the coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 444Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05