Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Old New Zealand Stock Book - A 35-Year Flashback

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 166Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  11:10 am Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

(Re-posting this where it belongs...my apologies if I've broken any CCF rules!)

Pasted in below are a couple of pages selected from the 1983 Eccles "catalogue" and price list for New Zealand coins, which I used back then to keep track of my "vast holdings." Yeoman numbers were still the standard, as the Krause-Mishler leviathan hadn't totally taken over the world coins cataloging business by that point. Prices were in New Zealand dollars...amazing how cheap things were then, but I'm not sure if I'd still be amazed if I took the trouble to calculate the effects over 35 years of both monetary inflation and the NZ-US currency exchange rate.

At that time I was busy buying world silver at melt and filling up my Dansco Supreme albums for NZ, Australia, Fiji, Japan, Mexico, etc., and Whitman Classic albums (GB, Victoria, New Guinea) too, which also featured those plastic slides. This little booklet was the permanent record of my New Zealand holdings as of about 1985, as I recall. I never did find a Waitangi crown I could afford, but I completed most of the type and date sets I kept in those albums. Can't be totally sure about NZ as I haven't looked at any of the ones that have been locked up (held in trust as part of my estate) in a West Coast bank vault for about 22 years...maybe next time I'm out that way.

Anyway, enjoy the ride on my time machine!

"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Pillar of the Community
Australia
825 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. What percentage increase did you calculate from then until now? I've also noticed that in today's e-platform market the catalague prices are usually well short (10-20%) of selling prices.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4233 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Daltonista, you should ask the moderators to move the original post to this forum. They don't like duplicate posts.
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Oriole, my thanks. I'll look into that right away.

David, I really have nothing to go on, except that I saw an 1935 3d in EF sell a couple of years ago for triple or quadruple the 1983 Eccles valuation.

"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Learn More...
United States
20601 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to the original thread:

http://goccf.com/t/407395

I'll move it over here to ANZ. Next time, please just click on the link "report this to the mods" and we can take care of it directly. Not a big deal though!

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 166Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05