Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 S Jefferson Proof W/Die Break.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 178Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
150 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  6:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this coin as described with a die break on the obverse @ about 7.5 k. I pulled it out of my look later stash and just noticed the Crack.
My question is, how do proofs get struc from damaged dies ?
The reason I set this one aside was suspicion of DDO as wall as DDR. Then I saw the Crack.
There is a button load of varieties for this date that I will have to wade through.
My main question is the quality control these proof dies actually go thru.
At some later time I may provide images but only after I compare to the many examples that come close to what I observe.
Perhaps a savy Jefferson enthusiast might cut my search time.
Anyways, just asking.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn, I sure can. But not before I have the time to narrow it down. But this is not the time for me to do that.
I am mostly wondering how cracks make it on to proof coins. Lack of quality control is my best quess as this is surely not the only example.
It almost seems to me that common events that occur in business strikes, slip through as proofs. Am I wrong to think that these events degrade a proof coin? That is my inquiry.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3540 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
damaged dies, should be pulled as soon as damage is spotted.. striking proof coins, does it happen ..probably. do some sneak through.. most likely..

With that being said there is a market for large die cracks on proof coins.. smaller the crack the smaller the interest. and premium.

Photos' would certainly help us go forward with this post..

edited for typo.
Edited by silverwolf
09/13/2021 7:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60763 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dearborn, I sure can. But not before I have the time to narrow it down. But this is not the time for me to do that.

Ah, ok.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3540 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

there is no help there at all? how does it help the op with the original question..
Edited by silverwolf
09/13/2021 8:08 pm
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Breaking News! What I thought to be a break is actually a design element of the bust. Being immersed in Lincolns for the past couple of years, my familiararety of Jeffersons is quite lacking. Not to mention the difficulties in deserning any anomalies on proof coins due to the glare issues.
I appreciate the responses to this post and apologize for wasting anyone's time. If I knew how I would remove this post to prevent any more replies.
However, if I am able to find a match for the split serifs that show on the reverse,I will start a new thread seeking opinions.
Sorry about that.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We all have seen this happen. That is how we learn more, when these events happen. Don't sweat it.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 178Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05