Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1963 Lincoln Cent - Gorgeous Shape But. Issues?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 215Next Topic  

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  9:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KBecker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi gang. I came across this surprisingly clean and bright 1963 Lincoln cent in one of our change jars.

I scouted the forums to get some reference on condition and color (R, RD,B) others submitted. I'm too new to consider myself objective aside from the obvious that it's in fantastic shape for a 58 year-old penny and would love the forum's take on it. I also wanted to say (since it's not so obvious from these pics that the steps of the memorial are tight, un-marred or dinged, and very well defined. Aside from its shape, I included another shot that better highlights the ghosting on the reverse of Lincoln's bust from the obverse. Don't know if that helps or detracts from the general condition/grade.

Additionally; after seeing another post where someone pointed out their 1963 penny's width maybe flagging it as a proof, I held it up against another well preserved find from the same change jar, a 1964 Lincoln cent. That raised another question as I noticed that while the 1964 cent's width was pretty uniform all around, this 1963 Cent's width varies quite a bit - from same width to obviously thinner, and although the penny shows no sign of "trauma or impact", at one point, it's width is wonked enough that you can actually see daylight between the two. Again, it raises the question if this helps or detracts from the overall grade of the coin - or if it drives it into a question better submitted in the "US Modern Variety and Error Coins" forum.

As always, thanks for everyone's insight and knowledge - any light shed is good light and always appreciated. Have at!

Learn More...
United States
20853 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kb, ghosting shouldn't affect the coin's grade one way or another as it is a die issue rather than circulation wear. This doesn't look like a proof to me, but rather a lightly circulated business strike.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61493 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree as well, thinking 64RD or so.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5560 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the somewhat soft photos posted, I'm going with MS61, at best.
Pillar of the Community
United States
880 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a fingerprint, and a lot of chatter, ms62 if that I'd say
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KBecker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, as always gang!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17169 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of chatter.

AU-58 at best
Lincoln Cent Lover!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 215Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05