Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

David Ryder Resigning As Mint Director

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 451Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
75 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  11:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add phillyprod to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Will be interesting to see what the future holds...

Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury announced Alison Doone as the new Acting Director of the U.S. Mint. Doone previously served as Chief Administrative Officer at the Mint. Doone's first day as Acting Director will be on October 1 as Director David J. Ryder leaves the bureau to pursue new opportunities.

"I'm excited to serve the U.S. Mint as Acting Director to help it continue its important work," said Alison Doone. "I look forward to working alongside the devoted Mint employees across the country and supporting our ongoing efforts to ensure that we are operating efficiently and producing quality products for the American people."

"We thank Director Ryder for his dedicated service to the U.S. Mint and welcome Alison to serve in this role," said Deputy Secretary Wally Adeyemo. "It is essential for the U.S. Mint to continue its critical operations to produce our coinage amid increased demand and safeguard American assets. I have confidence that Alison's leadership will help us carry out this mission."

"It was an honor to serve as the 34th and the 39th Director of the U.S. Mint," said Director David J. Ryder. "During this global pandemic, the U.S. Mint has showcased American excellence. Not only did the Mint meet its primary mission of producing circulating coinage, but it generated near-record revenue by introducing wildly popular numismatic products at a time in which many of its peers around the world ceased operations. Thank you to all of the employees who work tirelessly and play a role in ensuring that the Mint can meet the demands of the public, deliver quality products, and operate effectively. I know that with Alison serving as Acting Director, the Mint will continue to do just that."

Doone, a member of the Senior Executive Service since 2004, has served as the Mint's Chief Administrative Officer since March 2021.

Before beginning her work with the Mint, Ms. Doone served as the Chief Financial Officer for the Department of Education from August 2018 to March 2021; Deputy Chief Financial Officer at the Department of Energy from January 2013 to August 2018; Chief Financial Officer at the General Services Administration from September 2010 to January 2013; Chief and Deputy Chief Financial Officer at the Internal Revenue Service from August 2005 to September 2010; and, Deputy Assistant Administrator for the Drug Enforcement Administration from June 2004 to August 2005. Prior to her appointments in the SES, Ms. Doone served as a Senior Level (SL), Deputy Staff Director for Management at the Federal Election Commission from November 1999 to June 2004.

Ms. Doone holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science from Pennsylvania State University and a Master's degree in finance from the University of Michigan.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11327 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the news, phillyprod, I hadn't heard and this is pretty critical stuff for collectors of modern US Mint products.

Bachelor of Arts, huh... that's what it takes to be a Mint Director?

Kidding aside, good luck to her. She's clearly got some issues to resolve.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pkluck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bachelor of Arts in political science no less.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
317 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm anxious to see down the road the results of the upcoming Congressional investigation (or something like that) of the Mint's decisions and practices on issues that have been hurting collectors on limited production items.

My solution has always been, before a production limit is set, to have a one week open order period, and then set production to that level that's ordered. This way any collector that wants an item is guaranteed to get it!
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
09/25/2021 08:33 am
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the news Phillyprod.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6586 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My solution has always been, before a production limit is set, to have a one week open order period, and then set production to that level that's ordered. This way any collector that wants an item is guaranteed to get it!

I agree. The Mint did something similar with the special edition 2012 San Francisco Silver Eagle Set and the 2013 West Point Silver Eagle Set - they each had a month-long ordering period. Orders for each over the first 48 hours were quite strong but they slowed down over the month-long ordering period. IIRC, there was a bit of a surge in orders over the last couple of days of the ordering period.

I was in favor of the approach back then and would be again - I think scarcities/rarities should be driven by demand, not artificial limits created by the Mint.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15998 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm , So much for April fools day . Maybe she'll stop the production of the Lincoln Cent for business strikes and just produce proof strikes as of 2022 or 2023 .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
622 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think we all need to show our appreciation to Director Ryder by purchasing one of his 3-inch bronze Mint Director medals for $160.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/david-j-...68&statmp=no

Oh, and please ignore the fact that the U.S. Mint's 3-inch bronze medals were priced at $39.95 last year.
Edited by captainrich
09/26/2021 1:32 pm
Learn More...
United States
105068 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Bachelor of Arts, huh... that's what it takes to be a Mint Director?

Quote:
Bachelor of Arts in political science no less.
Why did everyone miss the "Master's degree in finance from the University of Michigan."

I wish her all the best, especially with the recent ordering chaos and people looking down on her qualifications.
Valued Member
United States
413 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish they brought someone in from outside the Government. I know nothing about Ms. Doone other than her resume shows nothing but government work. She will be well versed in red tape and bureaucracy. (She did attend a great college).

Quote:
My solution has always been, before a production limit is set, to have a one week open order period, and then set production to that level that's ordered. This way any collector that wants an item is guaranteed to get it

Quote:
scarcities/rarities should be driven by demand, not artificial limits created by the Mint

Yes! and yes!
Edited by psuman08
09/28/2021 1:48 pm
Learn More...
United States
105068 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 451Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05