Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which Australian Circulated Decimal Coins Are There Actually A Market For?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 413Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  05:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A lot of people spend a lot of time and effort noodling Australian coins with an idea to maybe one day making a few dollars by selling off some of their duplicates of low mintage and perceived "rarities" only to find when they actually try to sell them no one else seems to be interested in paying more than face value for them.

I myself would never buy a coin if there is a reasonable chance I could noodle it. So my question is which coins actually consistently fetch a reasonable price when offered to the mobs on ebay and the like.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
701 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
only to find when they actually try to sell them no one else seems to be interested in paying more than face value for them.

Yes,welcome to coin collecting,but you never know what will be next years flavour of the Month especially since Ebay started.
As a general rule Decimal Coin hunting is a waste of time but ocassionly a 2000 Mule or Incused 50c is ID by some poor soul without a life and the hunt goes on.
These are comments from a grizzled old collector with 60 years experience,me,so if the newbies disagree that's fine,good luck.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
929 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

ocassionly a 2000 Mule or Incused 50c is ID by some poor soul without a life and the hunt goes on

I've heard a similar comment applied to coin collectors in general so don't be too quick to judge harshly what others find a relaxing past time.
Am I a noodler? Yep although I do it for the fun rather than the money. Have never sold a noodled coin on EBay but do use them for swapping with OS collectors. I suspect that is where the value is (to me anyway). Have noodled a 2013 $2 purple coronation and a 2000 mule, both of which are in my collection. Always on the lookout for more. Have yet to noodle an incuse or fat letter millennium, a 1966 wavy, red poppy or a 1977 50c CofA. I do keep certain number of good coins aside for swaps, especially the commemoratives. Also enjoy finding the NCLTs and foreigners. If I noodle a 66 wavy and therefore don't have to spend ~$100 then surely that is as good as selling one for $100.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1136 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  12:20 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"poor soul without a life" oh gosh yet I see a sea of Newbies buying NTLC as if there will never be a new one, each to their own. Note its not worth the time to find some of the more common noodle stuff however Basil as a noodler I know this its not what I'm aiming for sometimes something special some along and its not just some random PMD coin.

MachinMachinMan if you are in it to collect sadly not much profit in it to be honest just go ask the dealers even though they have the inside allocation from the mints they themselves will tell you that its not that profitable. however you are going to find NTLC and even an error or two maybe a couple of the major ones if your lucky.

Just research and noodle/fossicking for coins just note that money not going to be made at the end of the day!
Australia
14 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2001 centenary of federation state design 50 and 20 cent coins always seem to attract a bit of interest when sellers auction them off at a low starting price. Particularly if they sell them in lots of 3 or 4 with different states.

I'm always on the lookout for Tasmania 20 cents and ACT 50 cents.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1880 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1972 5c has some value which is always a little surprising as it's not the lowest mintage decimal coin by a long-shot.
1996 wavy 20c and 2001 Centenary of Federation 20c have value, as do the 2000 incused 50c and 2001 Centenary of Federation 50c.
The 2000 $1 mule (and 2014 ANZAC, 2015 mob of roos and 2020 mob roos mules too) have value, as do many of the coloured $2 coins.
Besides that, not much - a 1987 high echidna 5c will get good money on a good day too.
Valued Member
Australia
112 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  03:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think a lot of people go into noodleing with high hopes, and walk away disappointed.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, I would never pay a premium price for any coin that I could reasonably expect to find after 10 years or more from actively searching through pocket change.

I couldn't be bothered with noodling or CRH'ing or whatever, but
I do actively search every coin I receive in pocket change, and have been doing this for the last 20 years or so.

So far I have never come across any scarce coin that would have a market value of more than $20 or so, but that doesn't bother me. I am not discouraged that I have never found a more valuable or really scarce coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 413Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: