Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Liberty Half Condition

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 438Next Topic  
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  09:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pcerio to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin is sold as high grade BU, but looking at the skirt lines that doesn't seem to be the case. My 2021 blue book says all skirt lines must be bold for an EF40 grade. Also a gouge in the field right of Liberty's elbow.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64379 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please show us full pics of both sides.

to the CCF!
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16518 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That happens to be a really nice WLH . That's not a gouge in right field , it's just a very small hit . The skirt lines are quite nice as well as hand and thumb . Reverse is looks unc ! I would grade this coin AU-58 +

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
986 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  10:32 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58. Some luster loss, apparent on the eagle on the reverse.
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. AU-58 is not a high grade BU coin, so this goes back.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64379 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU-58 as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3563 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU58-MS63. Lack of all skirt lines is due to strike weakness and is common on WLH. One must learn to differentiate between wear and strike weakness to grade accurately. The overall coin has to be taken into account and not just one indicator. I would recommend posting pictures before the purchase, might safe you some hassle!

Edited by Ty2020b
10/05/2021 11:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3287 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trying to buy high grade raw BU from online photos is very difficult especially on grades of MS65 and higher. On high grade coins the TPG holders provide a starting point to evaluate the grade. I have the coin at 58 to 62, and I agree it is not a high grade BU.
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Slider. I got a sizable partial refund from the seller. At The price I paid, I'm happy with a 58-62. Was just looking for a decent Walker from '41. Lost my father earlier this year and he was born in 1941.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4468 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks 63 to me. Good luster.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19359 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look for deterioration in the luster in the high points of the design, both sides.
For WLH's,
that is my way, at least for determining the amount of wear on the coin, irrespective of the amount of underlying die wear.

I would think that skirt lines would be much less well defined with dies at the end of their life.

Only problem with this line of investigation is that examination in hand under magnification is easier than looking at screen pictures, due to the variation and skill of those who have posted the pictures.
That helps to explain why there is a wider range of opinions when examining on screen pictures.
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A beautiful coin and one of my favorite series.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64379 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Skirt lines are not a good grading point for MS coins. Breast feathers are much better guide, which show a faint loss of luster on the high points here.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/05/2021 9:41 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11220 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58 or MS63. I'm not seeing any signs of circulation. what you are referring to is from a weak strike on the obverse. if your are going to collect a particular series you would do yourself a favor and study that series to note what the high points are for the series and how to determine wear from strike. there does appear to some light wear on the feathers which maybe can only be seen by rotating the coin. take the coin and rotate it under light to see if the highpoints glisten the same as the surrounding devices. if not then you have a slider AU58 coin. if the luster is unbroken you may an MS coin probably in the 63 area. this is still not 100% accurate as you can still see broken luster on coins MS coins below MS64 in a lot of cases. I'm leaning slider. the sun appears to have slight wear as well as the log under the talons and the highest points of the feathers. even this assessment is suspect without coin in hand when its this close.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 438Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: