Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fake Seated Quarter Is Scary Good.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 594Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8609 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  12:49 pm Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one fooled many top dealers that looked it over at a recent show. The counterfeiters are getting so good now, it's downright scary.

https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/c...870-quarter/

By Max Spiegel, Numismatic Researcher - Numismatic Guaranty Corporation ( NGC) ..

The 1870-CC is the key to the Seated Liberty quarter series. Read about this counterfeit that was submitted to NGC and how their experts recognized it.

One of the most interesting fakes that NGC has received in the past several years was a counterfeit Carson City 1870 quarter. The 1870-CC is the key to the Seated Liberty quarter series. With a mintage of just 8,340 pieces the issue has a very low survival rate. Fewer than 100 examples are believed to exist. The coin submitted to NGC had the overall impression of a Mint State coin. And it would easily have sold for a six-figure sum had it been genuine.

Expertly Produced

This counterfeit was expertly produced and could have easily fooled even the most experienced coin dealers. NGC employs some of the world's foremost authorities on Counterfeit Detection, and our graders noticed that the mintmark style of this piece did not match other 1870-CC quarters.

All 1870-CC quarters were struck from the same pair of dies. On the reverse the CC mintmark is small and the letters are widely spaced. The top serif of the first C points to the lower-left end of the last arrow fletching.

On this counterfeit Carson City 1870 quarter, the mintmark is tall, the letters are close together, and it is well centered below the eagle. Not only is the mintmark wrong, but there are also prominent clash marks on the reverse unlike anything seen on other 1870-CC quarters. Clearly, this is not the right reverse.

The counterfeiter must not have had access to images of a genuine 1870-CC quarter, and thus modeled the reverse after a different year, with a different mintmark style.

Few people have seen enough 1870-CC quarters to recognize that the mintmark was wrong on this specimen. NGC has graded a genuine 1870-CC quarter on 41 occasions. NGC graders have probably seen more examples than virtually anyone in numismatics. This experience led NGC to determine that this rare and valuable coin was actually an expertly manufactured fake.

Thanks to fellow CCF member and my friend Jack Young for the initial heads up over at the DarkSide FaceBook group.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, C4, & NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
1858 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The movement of the toning is also a dead giveaway that this coin if fake.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64439 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scary for sure. Thanks for the article.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1003 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The toning is such an eye catcher that it can distract from any wrong details. I am glad this one is off of the market.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1018 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the article-the reverse would have had me, but the obverse... not so much.
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My IS Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/411655
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
My Ebay Store: https://www.ebay.com/usr/coinhunter...047675.l2559
ANA # 3204217, CONECA # Y-6505
Learn More...
United States
108551 Posts
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21601 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2590 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This has the same look as the counterfeit 1884-S Morgan that has an exceptionally accurate (but muled) obverse that is identifiable because it was copied from an 1884-CC VAM-7A. NGC called that one a "superfake" coin.

It's a long way from the crude sand-casting and sloppy transfer die counterfeits.

Scary, indeed.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17611 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The movement of the toning is also a dead giveaway that this coin if fake.

A real coin can have fake toning too. Toning can be an indication, but it isn't enough to condemn on its own.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just another reason to purchase coins graded and authenticated by the top two TPG's! Very few, if any, of us collectors have the skills to avoid these newer counterfeits!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Pillar of the Community
United States
2052 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  01:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is scary. The obverse has a cameo effect and the surfaces really look like aged silver. The 0 in the date is way too tall and thin. It kind of makes me wonder if it was "mint sport" but that raises a lot of other questions. The effort it took to create this and yet they would have to have made very few of them otherwise the community would have noticed. A few sales in the 5 figures though and it was immensely profitable. Who? It doesn't strike me as a typical Chinese fake. And yet you put all that effort into it and mess up the CC.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 594Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: