Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1821 Bust Half Dollar

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 646Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
147 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  3:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm typically a collector of Canadian colonials, but I've been meaning to grab one of these for a while. After all, they did have a large presence in the circulating silver of Upper Canada during the early 19th century! So here's my first foray into the Bust Half series, which I thought had pretty good eye appeal for the grade. Any opinions on grade or further variety attribution are welcome!

Pillar of the Community
United States
636 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! It is an O-105 with a rarity of R.1. I'd give it a grade of G-6.. I did not know these circulated in Canada!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62733 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice circulation cameo - I'll say G-06 as well
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Add me to the G-06 camp. Really nice eye appeal!

Thank you for the information on their circulation in Canada. I didn't know that. It's always a pleasure to learn something new. (Don't tell my wife that!)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10040 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll agree with the G06 consensus and yes, a nice circam.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
5667 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice-looking coin, grades maybe VG. Full rims, nice color, no obvious cleaning sign or other defects. Nice choice!
Edited by Jaobler
10/08/2021 8:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3263 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll join the G06 party, with great eye appeal. Congrats on the pickup! It's a great series, one of my favorites. A circ CAM set is next on my list to complete.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An attractive, problem-free coin, G-6 in my opinion, as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2253 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This series is one of my favorites and your coin has a very nice appearance. I agree with the G06 grade. It displays a nice even strike which didn't happen often in this series. The biggest plus factor is that it doesn't appear to be cleaned as so many bust halves were cleaned.
Member ANA and EAC

"You got to lose to know how to win".
Dream On by Aerosmith
Pillar of the Community
United States
9704 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go VG8. The contact marks are minimal and the eye appeal is high for the level of wear. That is a nice piece.
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
Canada
147 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the responses! These Bust Halves have a stunning classic design and I look forward to learning more.

As for their Canadian circulation, I quote a contemporary anecdotal account by John Mactaggart from 1829, who apparently did not take too kindly to all the "Yankee dollars" in circulation!

"... the very coins of a realm, like the songs, affect its character. The emblems on the current coins of Canada help to make Yankees of the Colonists. At the same time, it would be difficult to establish a Canadian mint; the Americans must coin for us there, so much the more pity. ... All the labourers on the Canal were paid in Yankee half-dollars; the commissariat furnished these to the contractors, brought up in boxes from Montreal. It was curious to see the contractors crawling through the woods with their dollar-bags on their backs"

The 'Canal' is the Rideau Canal which was built between 1827 and 1832, and it is pretty striking that "Yankee half-dollars" are directly referenced. They apparently were quite present in trade at the time along with Spanish 8 reales and British shillings.
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example, IMO G-06.
Learn More...
United States
106340 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1572 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoubleEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They circulated along side Spanish American reales in the US and Canada.

Nice old bustie. Most busties were made from melted foreign coinage.
Edited by DoubleEagle20
11/01/2021 10:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
636 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  01:46 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most busties were made from melted foreign coinage.

I've never heard this! It makes perfect sense, since that was a custom of most countries.
Edited by jacrispies
11/02/2021 01:48 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2393 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh to skate on the Rideau again....

As Joni Mitchell sang,

"I wish I had a river I could skate away on"
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 646Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: