Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

No Date Or Liberty Wheat Cent?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 385Next Topic  
Valued Member
56 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  09:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jamcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Guessing over greased? Or did some one with a dremel or something do this? Is it worth anything ? , sorry tried to upload close up of the date also (the one is of liberty) but for some reason it wont. Thanks in advance.
Oh also the reverse is Wheat cent

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64243 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clearer images needed.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2524 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, hard to tell if it's a struck through or something else.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42746 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always post one full coin pic front and back as well as one or two close ups where and when needed.Make all pics in focus as well and properly rotate pics before posting.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
21955 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the pics provided, my vote is for the date missing due to mechanical removal, such as with a dremel like you suggest.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5313 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does have that slight appearance that the date was removed mechanically a long time ago. Looks like some almost horizontal 'scrapes' where the date was located. But I agree better photos are a must.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
56 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does has scratches on the date side but doesn't appear to be why the date is gone. Like scratches done separately perhaps. The liberty side I dont see scratched. It's pretty badly worn. But I'm getting out of bed right now and I'll attempt to get better pictures. Not super easy for me to do as my hands shake pretty much always due to health issues. Sorry, please bare with me. I'm trying
Learn More...
United States
21955 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jam, here is a pro-tip: if you balance / lay down your phone on a stack of books or playing cards or boxes, you will avoid any tremor from shaky hands.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2524 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spence, great advice I can use lol. Many times I have been looking at coins in my limited free time is early in the morning after 1-2 coffees and I get a bit shaky. Some times I take a photo 20 times in a row hoping one of them comes out(they don't always and I have to try again)
Valued Member
56 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Spence, I will definitely try that. I think hopefully these are good enough, I hope. The pictures really don't do justice though for the scratching, it doesn't break the layer of clad (I think that's what the layers are called) I would think if it was scratched so much to remove the letters and numbers it would should the planchet right? Sorry I'm new to collecting and appently not smart enough to understand it yet.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64243 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Deliberately defaced at some point.
Valued Member
56 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog, I had s feeling, just figured I'd check with you all since the whole not breaking threw the layer and all, well shucks, back to checking these wheats (probably missing the goods and questioning the junk hahaha)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42746 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln Wheat back cents do not have layers like a clad coin:dime-quarter-half-dollar and dollar coins.Starting in 1982,some 1982 cents are copper plated zinc core and in 1983 onward they are all copper plated zinc core.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
56 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john
Oh, well that explains a little more haha. Thank you very much buddy
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 385Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: