Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1865 2 Cent Penny With 180 Degree Rotation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 361Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  11:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jdubbz1996 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Curious if there's any value to this type coin with the error?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1003 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  12:58 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen several dramatic rotated die errors on Two Cent Pieces. I would say it is worth a few extra bucks to the right person. Minor errors is a niche market.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42851 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. http://rotateddies.com/
Try checking eBay sold values as well.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5426 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you hold the coin upright between your thumb and forefinger and rotate sideways, what is the orientation of the other side?
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64439 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the question.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I, too, have a 180 degree rotated reverse 2 cent piece. I think it only adds a few dollars to the value of the coin. It's definitely a cool coin though.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17611 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is one variety of 1864 2 cent that commonly comes with a 180 degree rotation. I'm not aware of that being common on other years, but they do come with varying degrees of rotation.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
8609 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is one variety of 1864 2 cent that commonly comes with a 180 degree rotation.

According to Frank Leone's 1864 Attribution Guide book, he lists a few;

FL-24H Always found with 180 degree rotation
FL-32AE 10 degree CCW rotation
FL-33Q 5 degree CCW rotation
FL-39AG 100 degree CW rotation some show only 95 degrees.
FL-46AY Always found with 180 degree rotation
FL-50AM varying degrees of rotation found
FL-54AQ usually with 30 degree CW rotation
FL-56AR varying degrees of rotation found
FL-57AS Usually found with 20 CCW rotation
FL-58AT Always found with 180 degree rotation
FL-58BE Always found with 180 degree rotation
FL-65AY Always found with 180 degree rotation
FL-65AO Always found with 180 degree rotation
FL-82BK Always found with 180 degree rotation (so far)
FL-85AY Always found with 180 degree rotation

While this is a complete list from Frank's book, it could change over time as any new varieties are found of course, these are only 1864 dated coins, I believe this list would be similar for other dates like 1865, and the amount of rotated coins would dwindle like the mintage as the years go on through 1872. Frank's early book on Two Cent Pieces list only a couple of rotated coins one being a 225 rotated reverse (he didn't say which direction CW or CCW) on an 1867 FL-671B.

I don't have all my 1865 deuces with me to check now, sorry, but I'm pretty sure I have a few.

Some people I know are quite successful in selling the rotated coins for a big premium on eBay, I don't seem to have that luck, and by large premium I mean 2 to 3 times normal cost. I would never pay more than a few dollars if any for that. I was working on a full clock rotation set of them at one point, I kind of stopped and not even sure how close I am to having that completed. I do try to label each one I have on my holders so it's easier to find them all.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, C4, & NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 361Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: