Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 S Seems A Bit Different (Cent)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 349Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
436 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  12:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Methinks the mintmark is not original and it doesn't look damaged. Kinda looks like a large s from 1928.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384450085528

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being that this is not a VDB, and a normal 1909-S Lincoln doesn't bring that much of an extravagant premium compared to the VDB type, I am inclined to believe this is a legit coin. Especially the condition of this Cent if it would even make a lower grade of XF. The mint mark looks normal to me and has enough separation in-between the upper and lower curves of the S which appears to be consistent with the "blocked style" serifs of this years mm. BUT.... with that said, you CANNOT be cautious enough about buying stuff off of eBay.... period!! Just MHO here.....
Edited by Bumpkin
10/16/2021 12:56 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62707 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks genuine to me.
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"you CANNOT be cautious enough about buying stuff off of eBay."

Yes, that is the take-away from this.

Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Edited by CentSation
10/16/2021 1:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!!! 100%
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62707 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, amen to that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4065 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54570 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin has issues. (I don't like to comment on running auctions)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/16/2021 2:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62707 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not? You might just save someone some grief.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1714 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin looks a bit porous to me. But the photographs are not the best.
Learn More...
United States
35776 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Free opinion: Genuine
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62707 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've learned not to disagree with Dr. coop, but that's my opinion as well. Apparently we'll have to wait until the auction is over.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4197 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the obverse was scrubbed with a brillo pad. I don't like it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54570 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is part of the issues I feel. The coin was altered to cover the bust and flattened the devices. So while it could be genuine, the are issues with this coin. (I'm glad other see what I did about the coin) The images on the auction are large, but don't open as wide as it should.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 349Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: