Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are These Green/Blue Spots On A Silver Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 321Next Topic  

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  6:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dacp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can only see these greenish/blueish spots when I scan the coin. You can't see them from just looking with the naked eye. Are they milk spots? I thought milk spots are supposed to be white.

Here is an image of what I'm talking about:
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this the same coin you are asking about the reeding in another thread?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62691 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possible PVC contamination?
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dacp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this the same coin you are asking about the reeding in another thread?

It's a different coin from the other thread but both have the same green/blue spots on them. I bought them from two different sellers.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
973 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... both have the same green/blue spots on them. I bought them from two different sellers

Did they have these spots on them when you bought them or did they appear afterwards?
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dacp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did they have these spots on them when you bought them or did they appear afterwards?

These spots were already there when I bought them.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1880 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's the alloy? I want to say the start of veridigris but if it's sterling silver surely it wouldn't be so obvious so quickly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4363 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you only see then you scan than chances it's a dust mote on your scanner camera sensor.
Edited by hfjacinto
10/22/2021 8:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4363 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at you picture again they look like dust motes. You can see the donut shape and they are out focus since the scanner is focusing on the coin. Put a piece of aluminum foil and scan it. If they appear in the image you found your issue. You need to clean your scanner.
Edited by hfjacinto
10/22/2021 8:15 pm
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dacp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's the alloy? I want to say the start of veridigris but if it's sterling silver surely it wouldn't be so obvious so quickly.

It's pure silver (999 fine).
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dacp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looking at you picture again they look like dust motes. You can see the donut shape and they are out focus since the scanner is focusing on the coin. Put a piece of aluminum foil and scan it. If they appear in the image you found your issue. You need to clean your scanner.

I just tried scanning a piece of aluminum foil but the green/blue spots don't show up. I tried scanning the coin multiple times in different parts of the scanner but the spots on the coin remain on the same place on the coin. So the spots are on the coin itself and not the scanner glass.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 321Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: