Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sorry I Don't Have Much To Go On With This Silver Coin (Id: Likely English Pence)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 445Next Topic  

Ireland
8 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  5:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mcfahy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any input appreciated

It a quite large 1.25 inch diameter

Edited by Mcfahy
10/21/2021 8:29 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12596 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could we see a photo of the Reverse as well.
Ireland
8 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mcfahy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jimmy. Added it There. There is very little I can make out on the back. Found on the west coast of Ireland. Assumed it was an English monarch but cannot link it to any.
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mcf, I agree not much to go on. How confident are you that this is silver? From your pics, it looks more like a copper alloy, but the color may be off a bit.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Ireland
8 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mcfahy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not 100%. But I put up a second coin picture . This is a young Victoria. And both are reading silver on the detector. Also when I lightly sand the outer coin part it comes up silver.
Ireland
8 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mcfahy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did a little more of a clean up of the back and it could be my imagination but I believe there is a image there of a person. See latest picture.
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Badger Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both look to be English pence, the first is George III, around 1806.
Ireland
8 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mcfahy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks badger mint. Would you have for the George coin? Thanks all
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mcf, as these seem to be English, I'm going to move your thread over to that subforum. Maybe we can get a couple more eyeballs on this to help with the attribution.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Canada
250 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel Badgermint got one....4th issue George lll halfpenny
I think the other is a second issue Victoria farthing...tough without measurements but we are getting closer
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
610 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  03:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes, the first is a George III copper penny, either 1806 or 1807. The second is a copper farthing of Victoria issued between 1838 and 1859.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
699 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  04:45 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first is a George III copper penny. It could be 1805 with harp reverse, making it Irish, or 1806 or 1807 with Britannia reverse, making it English. I can't see it being Silver in any way - I don't know enough about metal detectors to say why it is coming up silver on that.
Second appears to be Victoria copper farthing - possibly 1858. Dimensions would help as the design is very similar for both the halfpenny and the penny.
Sadly in those conditions, they have only sentimental value!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 445Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: