Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1917 S Wheat Penny Wide Rim

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 394Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
97 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  01:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Miss Italy21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi. I am going thru a lot of stuff and was making a pile to throw away and a donation pile. I was going thru my jewelry box and came across this 1917 S Penny. I looked it up and found the 1917 penny that was collectable, but nothing on the S penny.

I'm not finding anything on errors, but it seems as if this penny has a wide rim? It's not in the best condition, but the rim seems to be enlarged on both the obverse and reverse? Searched internet and found nothing. Can someone please help me out with identification?

Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  06:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@miss, even with heavy circulation wear, I think that early branch mint wheat cents hold some value above face. You could confirm by looking at eBay sold prices. The rims look like they are a bit wider due to the heavy circulation wear. At some (later) point, the rims and tops of the letters in the inscriptions will merge.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62954 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That says it well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4268 Posts
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Miss Italy21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, this is just a normal wear coin? Nothing of significance and just put it aside? Darn! When I found it, it looked so pretty and I rarely see something with an "S", and the date was so clear, I thought it was my lucky day! It's too pretty to spend!

When researching, I have noticed that I really need to be careful what websites I'm looking at. Some are really full of it! Too many conflicting information from different websites. Went to Ebay, and it's hard to believe some of people's reasoning why their coin is so different than the other 20? Still listening and learning. Thanks for your help! It gets confusing...
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes just honest circulation wear. If this is "good" (G-4) condition, then I think that the value is somewhere around 50 cents. So don't spend it, but either save in a 2x2, or a roll with other wheat cents.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
4268 Posts
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Miss Italy21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! I bought the encapsulated poly type holders! Maybe the cardboard with the poly cover would be easier! I've wasted so many of the white sponge like holders, because they're so sensitive, that if you tear out an extra circle, it doesn't hold them in place, and I'm not sure if it offers enough protection?
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  05:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally like the 2x2 holders for their protection and low cost, but certainly others use the hard plastic capsules with the inserts.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2021  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Miss Italy21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! I will order some!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54651 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2021  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also all the cents from 1909-1921 have the wide rims. The matte proof ones have a squared rim, but still wide.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
7581 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the wear diagnostic. As for eBay, make sure you're looking at SOLD listings, not current for sale items.sellers can ask for any amount but it doesn't mean they'll get it. And about misinformation on the web, just stick to here and you can't go wrong. You're right, lots of bad sites out there!
ça va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  02:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Miss Italy21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much. Very informative. And yes, I agree with you on the "other" sites, some are very extreme. Thanks for the insight on the "rims". Very good to know. I was unaware of the dates identified.

But, how do you get to the "SOLD" when visiting ebay for information? I've tried, and all I get is that the information is no longer available?
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 394Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: