Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021-P Jefferson Spiked Head

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 211Next Topic  
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  04:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add crazedrooster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this nickel roll hunting, it is a 2021-P it has a curved line from Jefferson's head onto the field with a small die chip directly bellow the line. It's not a scratch, the line is raised up above Jefferson's head. There is also a couple of very small die chips on the reverse but these were rather insignificant. Opinions on the line though?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
41895 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you rotate the coin 3 more time and take a pic at 3k,6k,9k? It is at 12k now,make sure to properly rotate photos before posting them.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  06:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazedrooster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you mean for me to take pictures and physically rotate the coin? like at 3 o'clock position and so on?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41895 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes please.
John1
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazedrooster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this what you were looking for, I also noticed that the line continues faintly to the edge of the coin I think.

Learn More...
United States
21371 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@craze, I know you say that this linear feature is raised above the surface of the coin, but I wonder if it isn't a scratch from a sharp blade that has dug a very narrow cut in the surface but then also raised the metal up on one side? We do see coins exhibiting this phenomenon posted here from time to time and I wonder if this isn't another example.

It doesn't really look like a die crack to me, but I'm struggling to think what else it might be so that is why I'm asking about whether it could be damage.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazedrooster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your idea is the most likely and logical explanation, although it really looks like a raised feature, I might be wrong though. I tried to get an extreme close-up. If nothing else I'll just set it aside and see if there is a way to better view later. Thank you for looking at it.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
41895 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the added photos. Just a note,you might need to filter your light source a bit to cut down on the glare. I am kinda on the fence with this coin. Die crack or scratch from circulation or even some other PMD. Lets wait for more eye on this one.
John1
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 211Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: