Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found Over The Weekend - 1982 D Small Date Cent - Possibly Copper

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 442Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  1:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add elcahall to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My blood pressure went up a few points over the weekend when I found this little surprise. My kitchen scale says it's three grams, but it's old, not very accurate, and doesn't do parts of a gram. So, I ordered a new .01 gram scale which will be here tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12574 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that is a zinc coin.
You can see zinc rot
starting to set in which would not be on a copper coin.
Weigh it anyways when you get your scales and let us know.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add elcahall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rats! I guess I need to read up on what zinc rot is. I just started learning about coins a few days ago. The scale will be here tomorrow. Maybe it's just a heavy zinc coin.
Valued Member
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with JimmyD. Your current scale is going to read 3 grams regardless if it is a copper or zinc Cent. Zinc's weigh 2.55 on average which would round the weight to 3 grams and Copper's weigh 3.11 on average which would round down to 3 grams. I too am seeing what appears to be zinc rot on your coin. Zooming in on the mint mark further looks like Die Deterioration Doubling which shows itself fairly well, and often, on common copper plated zinc Lincolns.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5925 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Staying tuned...
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just weigh another cent on your current scale to see if its calibrated correctly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7564 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, you can see the zinc rot starting, so sorry not the copper cent you were looking for. Yes, it is a small date, yes it's from the Denver mint, it's just the wrong material to be the rare copper cent everyone wants to find. Keep searching!
ça va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62899 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1563 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF. Can you put the 1982 D Small Date LMC on the scale and get us a closeup shot ? To me it looks like you are showing two different coins. If the coin on the scale IS a 1982 D small Date Copper Coin then you just found a nice chunk of cash for one rare penny. If not
Edited by Daves Errors
10/25/2021 5:07 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12574 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Daves Errors
Read Bumkins post. His scale does not read to decimals so can be
out .5 g either way
Pillar of the Community
United States
4218 Posts
Valued Member
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you JimmyD and thank you Dearborn.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1563 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I guess I am confused on this one sorry. >> Bumpkin said Your current scale is going to read 3 grams regardless if it is a copper or zinc Cent. Please enlighten this simple old mind how it's taking two different weights and is showing the same weight of 3 grams. 2.5 is 2.5 and 3.1 is 3.1 I thought!
Edited by Daves Errors
10/26/2021 12:11 am
Valued Member
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Dave. I was referring to the op's scale, in the provided pics, and that the scale only reads out in one full digit and that it does not have the capability to read out in tenths or hundredths. With this being the case, anything put on that scale will round up or down to a solid number. A zincoln will round up from 2.5 grams to a reading of 3 grams..... and a copper Linc will round down from 3.1 grams to a reading 3 grams on this scale. Hopefully this helped clarify things..
Pillar of the Community
United States
1563 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So is what you are telling me is this scale is a LIAR. It's telling people you are eating 3 grams of sugar but you are really eating 3.5 and getting fatter every time you use this scale right?
Valued Member
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's telling people you are eating 3 grams of sugar but you are really eating 3.5 and getting fatter every time

Not to get technical here (but I guess I am.... lol) If you were eating 3.5 grams of sugar the op's scale would show you 4 grams as it would round up from .5 ...... haha! The op said they are getting a scale that reads out further than whole number grams, hopefully in hundredths. We shall wait and see.......
Edited by Bumpkin
10/26/2021 12:29 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 442Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: