Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where Do You Shop For Your Coins?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 922Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1529 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  3:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shatsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Other than your local dealer. I'm in New York and attended a local coin show over the weekend but its a very small show and I couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm just getting back into collecting after a along break, I appreciate if you could please recommend your online dealers or Ebay dealers. I collect US coin, not moderns though. Long time ago I bought coins from HJB, JJ Teaparty, Dick Osburn etc.

Thank you
Pillar of the Community
United States
4380 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get majority of my coins locally, my 2nd source is the below:

http://www.allensinc.com/coins/us/index.htm
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I miss the coin shows. Have not been to one since right before it happened (February 2020). There is one next weekend, but I will pass because regardless of the rules in place, more than half will break them which means there is no possible way to enforce them.

I have made a couple of purchases on eBay and watching for all the stuff on my list. Just have to keep looking at strike when I see what I want.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5925 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, acquisition sources break out something like this: 50% ebay, 30% coin shows, 15% coin shop, 5% roll searching finds. I have no favorite ebay seller, but I do tend to limit my purchases to dealers having 99.9% or better feedback across thousands of transactions. The .1% shortfall is typically for slow delivery, not fraud/deception/bogus item descriptions. My big $$$ purchases are at shows and shops only.
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My big $$$ purchases are at shows and shops only.
Same for me, so far. I have yet to go over $100 on eBay. The highest at a coin show (and for a single coin) is below $500. Sadly, I have not been in an LCS for over a decade.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4321 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These days it is almost entirely LCS. I do go to our local monthly coin show, which resumed last July after a long hiatus (you know why)which is rather small but sometimes has some really good stuff. Given that it is very close to where I live, I feel obligated to at at least give it a quick check once a month. I used to go to a larger show about 2 hours away, and may resume if things ever get back to normal.

I am at a stage in my collecting where I am not so obsessed with completion, so I may not be a good example. In cases where I am really keen on more obscure items and can't wait for the random appearance at the LCS or show, I go to eBay, but like many others, I keep these purchases to relatively small value items.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16187 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually buy or bid from e-Bay , but I found that a wishing well can offer some nice coins .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1728 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last Sunday I went to a local coin show and was browsing for world coins. Surprised to see a decent amount on offer. I bought a couple of Netherlands East Indies cents and a 1/10 Gulden. But typically, I buy from LCS (there is one 30 minutes drive from me who has a good selection of slabbed coins, bullion, and mint sets), online LCS, and eBay.
For some reason however the prices on eBay have become ludicrous over the last year. For instance, the asking price on eBay for the Dutch East Indies coin I bought at the coin show was 5 times (!) the amount I paid (for same quality)!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4218 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1414 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since I collect mostly world coins, the bay has been a good source. I'd like to shop at my LCS, but the ones closest to me focus on bullion and US coinage. Since coin shows are starting to be a thing again, I hope that I can purchase a few pieces that way.
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy most of my coins from my LCS, I used to buy on ebay but havent lately. Next month I am attending a coin show and I hope to buy some good stuff.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
71 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  01:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Delcampe, reddit, local coins forums...:)
Sellers tend to add an enormous EBay commission to the prices, so I've almost stopped to use it
Edited by Grinya
10/26/2021 01:42 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20478 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I miss the coin shows. Have not been to one since right before it happened (February 2020). There is one next weekend, but I will pass because regardless of the rules in place, more than half will break them which means there is no possible way to enforce them.

Exactly what is the way things are with me.
just carl
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have any larger local coin dealers to rely on where I now live, and very few shows, so I now do most of my business with online dealers. Several of these I first did business with years ago at coin shows when I lived in Houston.

Right now, Northeast Numismatics, Sarasota Numismatics, Witter Coins and Eye Appealing Coins are the main ones I use, and I've had pretty good dealings with all of them. Others I occasionally buy from are David Lawrence, Rare Coins of New Hampshire, Coast to Coast Coins, and Angel Dees. Heritage and Great Collections are the auction firms I've used the most.
Pillar of the Community
United States
573 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new at this, and on an extremely small budget. So far, I have won one Live Auctioneers auction, the rest are from Ebay or APMEX. I am afraid to go to a coin show OR coin shop. It's bad enough going to other hobby shows without a large bankroll, but I can at least sound like I know what I am talking about at those!

;-)

OH, and as with stamp shops, local coin shops are all gone. I did look to see what is around the Boston area, and they are all either IN Boston, $$$ dealers, or "we buy your gold!" shops. Not very inviting...
Pillar of the Community
United States
573 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but I found that a wishing well can offer some nice coins

26Vvor1n4y0
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 922Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: