Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Would You Grade? 1916 50˘ Piece

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 590Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2530 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  07:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Managed to wake up before the baby so cracked on of the holders for a better photo. For 14$ I think it was a decent deal. It looks like some possible cleaning and a little ding on the rim but all in all what would you grade this?

Valued Member
Canada
62 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CAmint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion: VG-8
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64325 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG-08 sounds right.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2530 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no idea if it was a good deal or not, my current Charlton has VG-8 at 30$ but seems the prices listed are not really accurate, at 14$ was it worth it?
Valued Member
Canada
62 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CAmint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe you paid a fair price.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1223 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say VG-10 and you paid market rate
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2530 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, I think I'm starting to get a slightly better idea of grading but I will have to practice.

At market price I'm happy with that:) as long as I didn't over pay on a coin then I'm happy:) I think the 1914 50˘ I ordered is going to end up being G-VG but I'll see when it gets here.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
515 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G-VG
RCNA Member

There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4385 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My LCS sells the worn 50 cents for bullion. None of his customers will pau Charlton prices. Incidentally, Canadian Coin news "trends' is a much better price guide. $17 in VG08 there.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2530 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks I'll have to get an updated price guide. If I can find any coins for spot price I would grab it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4886 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most ebay sellers are experience dealer, if a coin was worth much more than melt or a key date, it would be graded to get max value, the other point is coins are rarely an investment, good stocks and real estate are investment, unless silver goes wild these low grade common date coin will always be this price, if silver is your thing buy bullion bars easier to sell
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2530 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john100, I will be buying some higher grade coins, but I would not pay that much for something that I can't hold in my own hand to inspect. I think 1914 is a key date. But the one I ordered was in g+ condition I'd say, had to pay twice the price of these for that one though. Mayb only worth melt who knows but I didn't have these coins before and now I do:) I'm only recently getting into other denominations, most of my coins are cents and nickels, I need to purchase the mid 1920 cents but I'm waiting on those atm because they are pricy for 1 cents.

If I ever did try and sell these I would most likely sell then as a lot for there silver prices and that would only be if there was a coin I really wanted that was worth it. As all my coins will be left to my son maybe I'll put together several low grade sets for him when he is a bit older. After I get a low grade set put together I'll focus on quality and mayb but 1-2 high grade coins every few months.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4131 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are going to occasionally look into silver for a close to melt price make sure that you know what the scarp silver price actually is in Canadian $$. Silver is currently $24 US, which is $30 Canadian. a silver dollar has .6 oz of Ag, so it would scrap out at $18 if it had nearly no wear. A 50 cent piece has .3 oz of Ag, so full scrap would be $9 Canadian with little or no wear. Before you go on a buying outing, make sure that you know what the actual silver price is for a troy oz. The price is usually posted in US $$, so take the US price and multiply by 1.25.(5/4 ths)
Edited by okiecoiner
10/26/2021 6:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3338 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mid VG condition, easy to grade as many Australian Florins of the same era are often in this condition and have the same portrait.

Despite the wear and the ding - this is a nice honest coin, one with some legs and a history of real use. Yet still attractive enough for the collector.

Good score, I would definitely have it in my collection (My early Canadian silver is way worse than this!).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2530 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate the info okie, and thanks princetane, I'm not just buying for silver though just seems safer to spend double melt on a silver coin then spending 1000× face value on a 1 cent coin. I will put together a nice collection of higher graded coins this one will be a nice addition to a starter collection that I will give to my son if he gets into coins as well. The nice sets I put together myself he is going to have to wait till I die to get them:p. At 30 I'd say I have at least another 50 years of collecting ahead of me-_- at least I hope. Life can throw anything at you.

I have seen coins in much worse shape then these sell for more then melt and the price I paid seems a decent one for what I got. If I had 400$+ to spend on MS version of these I would have considered it:p I think building a starter collection is important. Better to have one now then try and get one 10,20,50 years from now when half of the low end examples have been melted down. As it is illegal to melt coins buying for silver value is only a small part of it. Also if I bought a coin on ebay it was either free shipping or under 3$ and I incorporated that into what I said I paid, so 27$ for the 1916 and the 1920 that I have not had the chance to remove from it's holder. I do think this one is in slightly better shape then the 1920 and 1914 I ordered. There was also a random 1982 quarter I bought, I was not going to make any more ebay purchases but today bough 2 silver dimes for 4.25 after shipping and tax. Not a bad deal, 1 1921 dime and one 1943(the 43 seems fairly good shape but for 4$ it was a cheap impulse buy)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
725 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IF you're interested in working on your grading I suggest that you pick up a copy of Andre Langlois' "Guide for grading coins of Canada". Andre's one of the good guys!

https://coinstampsupplies.com/produ...s-of-canada/
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 590Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: