Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Mint. Is It Good ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 615Next Topic  

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  11:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add johnsolaris to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I am interested in buying coins from the RCM. Can someone give me some insight. How do they treat their American customers. thanks
Pillar of the Community
Canada
766 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, like all Mints, they treat their large spenders well....produce too many product lines......and charge premiums for Ag and Au products at the extreme end of reasonableness. The only other Mint I have dealt with was The Royal Mint so I can't speak to your US experience. Packaging and Customer Service are ok, and the only return issue I had ever with the RCM occurred in 1998. Proof quality for both RCM and RM are very good, as I've had many PCGS PR70's returned in the past two years.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19264 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For collector coins, the quality of the coins and the packaging is first class. It has to be to sell their product.

Nevertheless
my problem with the Royal Canadian Mint, the Royal Australian Mint and The Royal Mint (and to a lesser extent, the U.S, Mint), is that their NCLT collector product issues are being produced for increasingly frivolous reasons, with
artificially low issue numbers.
In reality, those numbers still reflect the maximum numbers of coins of a particular issue that they think they can sell, and that the market will bear. Leaves no room for re selling for a profit in the collector after market.
You can't blame them for trying to maximize their profit and survive, when the demand for business issue coins into circulation continues to decline, because we are slowly becoming a cashless society.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6766 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  06:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@johnsolaris: I have been a direct US-based customer of the Royal Canadian Mint for 25 years at this point and throughout the entire time - whether I was just starting out and a low-volume customer or one who made enough purchases to attain Masters Club status - I have always been treated politely and professionally.

Yes, higher-volume customers do get a few additional perks from the Mint, but this is as it should be IMO. A company should reward its biggest customers!

I would say that you shouldn't worry about ordering from the Mint. The vast majority of your transactions will be problem-free and the Mint's Customer Service will quickly (in my experience) address any issues.

Good luck!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add applesauced to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't speak to how they deal with US based customers as I am located in another part of America (insert wink and smiley emoji here), but I have found the customer service to be good. I find the website experience to be horrible.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7562 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to order things from time to time and had no problems with anything ever. in fact they were better to me by far then the US mint has been repeatedly.

But...I got tired of them making so very many new issues. It got beyond ridiculous many years ago. If you wait for 6 months after the issue, you can generally pick things up on eBay for less money in original packaging.

I can understand a person who likes collecting the stuff just for the fun of it. But I like knowing what I collect will have a chance of retaining its value or even increasing. I cannot see this happening with most RCM stuff anymore.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've ordered a couple of times and didn't have an issue. But the mint's prices are just too much. Three figures for an ounce (maybe) of silver is pretty ridiculous IMHO.
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnsolaris to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

thanks for all the insight. very helpful.
Valued Member
Canada
367 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Proof Nut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@owatchmen: Purchasing collector coins from the RCM or any similar 'money factory' is rarely if ever a good investment.

Most if not all of the numismatic 'giftware' will depreciate dramatically in 3-5 years (sometimes sooner) with the exception of a few limited mintage releases that few of us except those with deep pockets can afford.

You are correct that the gold and silver collector coins being offered are ridiculously overpriced so it is best to stick to buying bullion coins or bars if you are interested in precious metals.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2021  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been treated well by them, no issues and the coin sets arrive in impeccable condition. I do not order much, having purchased only the two proof sets (silver and clad) of circulating coins with the silver dollar, the uncirculated coin set, the proof silver dollar and the three keepsake collection coin sets, enough to make their bronze status. I purchased more this year since the Bluenose is from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, home of my paternal ancestry. I have ordered online and over the phone, and been treated well each time and no concerns thus far. I do not collect coins for investment, simply for enjoyment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1079 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been buying from the RCM for about seven years now and have been treated well; overall.
My buying trends are similar to those of Erscolo's, with a few extras added on. On the plus side, all of the items I've bought have been delivered nicely and the coins themselves are almost always beautiful; never any 'injured'.
Like others have mentioned, increased pricing has made me wonder at times if I should still buy some items (but I still do anyways). Also, shipping from Canada is quite high too.
Just recently I tried to buy the "Bluenose Keepsake" set from the RCM. It is priced at $24.95CAD which is already kind of high since I only need the two special dimes; and they added $15.00CAD for shipping; even though I'm supposed to get free shipping at this point for being a 'Bronze' member. I ended up clearing my shopping cart and buying the two special dimes and a regular dime on eBay for $6.00USD, including shipping.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 615Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: