Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 50 Cent Coin. Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 340Next Topic  

Australia
11 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  10:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add brrockin_itup to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, advice, opinions, feedback all greatly appreciated in regards to the 1983 50 cent possible coin error? and .....:)
also a 1982 and 1975 (I am guessing) partial collar?
Thank you in advance :)

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1053 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi brrockin_itup, my first thoughts is that the '83 looks like PMD (Post Mint Damage) but I have a few questions that might assist in making a final determination.

Is the coin's surface area distorted ... by this I mean if you place another 50c coin on it do the edges align?
How much does it weigh?
And what does the bottom edge of the coin look like?

With regards to the '82 and '75 I don't see how they can be partial collar errors as the our 50 cent coins have a smooth edge (non-reeded) ... my understanding is that a partial collar error can't result in reeding being added, it can only result in some of it being removed if the blank isn't sitting in the collar die correctly.
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  01:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure about the 1983 50 cent, but the other two are PMD.

The irregular shape of a 50 cent coin causes them to occasionally get stuck in various types of coin machines where the teeth of a metal cog create an impression on one of the 12 corners.
Australia
11 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brrockin_itup to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your replies coaster and MachinMachinMan.
I've just worked out how to reply!
A year or so ago, I got some great tips and info on determining PMD coins on my first post in this forum. But with this 50cent I need extra help. I will upload some pics of the edge of the 50 coin tomorrow. And learnt another great piece of info about the vending machines leaving an imprint. Until tomorrow 8)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1915 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The edge reeding at least is post mint damage.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: