Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1840-O Seated Liberty 25c: Which Is The Scarcer Mintmark Location For An ND Variety?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 367Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3215 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2021  8:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I modified this post since I just discovered that the 1840 25c had both a type 1 and type 2 which indicates a transitional year.

I did find the pricing I was looking for with is under type 1.

Edited by mdpmedia
11/18/2021 9:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3215 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2021  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In this case the size of the O is unimportant for the type 1. The large O with drapery is the very rare one which I do not have.

I'll keep this close-up of my O since its position is significantly more left than the type 1 PCGS example. Has my coin been altered since I do not see any different examples with similar mm positions?

https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...drapery/5393
Edited by mdpmedia
11/18/2021 9:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3215 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2021  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Since it's now been a year on this completely dormant thread, here's the real easy-to-follow crux of this difficult-to-understand subject matter.

The photos are self-descriptive and somewhat clarify exactly what I am looking for: location(s) to describe this variety having a drastically different position.

The NGC VarietyPlus shows the following but I cannot interprete what it means when comparing their photo (O under the arrow's tail feather) with the photo I took (O under the Eagle's right claw).

https://www.NGCcoin.com/variety-plu...1891/815298/

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3215 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2021  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My coin has no drapery with the O mintmark under the claw. which seemingly should be a variety. That's an assumption since Coinfacts shows the O mintmark under the arrow's tail feather as the 'regular strike' coin. Plus, they do not even show my ND coin as an example of a variety having the O mintmark way to the left under the claw.

https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...drapery/5393

PCGS CoinFacts shows the O being directly under the arrow's tail feather but does not list it as a variety. In large letters above the primary photo it reads,

Quote:
1840-O 25C No Drapery (Regular Strike)

but in the section below where you click to see the varieties under,

Quote:
Show Related Coins and Varieties (1)

it states only one variety which appears to be the same as a 'Regular Strike',

Quote:
Major Varieties 1840-O 25C No Drapery

Show Related Coins and Varieties (1)

Can a 'variety' be the same as a 'regular strike' which PCGS seems to imply?

On the other hand NGC verbiage seems to imply that the large O under the arrow tailfeather of a 1840-O 25C "with" drapery is scarce. But NGC fails to make clear that an 1840-O 25C 'without' drapery having the O under the claw as common?

Plus both the drapery and non-drapery conditions are written about on NGC but their picture does not say whether it is from the drapery or non-drapery state.

The apparent lack of correlation between the two TPGs has me baffled. The bottom line question is where can I find a reputable 3rd party site to describe more succinctly the rarer mintmark location for an 1840-O ND (no drapery) 25C?
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 367Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: