Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1926 Lincoln Wheat Cent Doubled Die - DDO-001 Well Maybe

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 344Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3965 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  8:47 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin comes in at a very nice grade, and obviously has a very strong doubled eye. But whoof, it's got serious woody issues. So much so that I honestly can't really see what's what with the extra eyelid. There are two similar ones, DDO-001 and WDDO-003, and so far I can't make up my mind. But when I see it in the full coin image, and just how strong it is, I lean much more toward DDO-001.

1926 Lincoln Wheat cent doubled die - DDO-001 maybe

Pillar of the Community
United States
5881 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, talk about woody characteristics. I love it.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like DDO-002 to me. Perhaps a different die state?
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62707 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
God I hate woodies.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3965 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Um, DDO-002? No such animal so can't be that.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because of the distortion that the woody creates, this one is tough. I'm leaning towards WDDO-005 though. I marked up your pic, see what ya think. Markers are even tougher than the DDO though. I;m basing this off the distance from the original eyelid, I think the distortion could be messing with the angle. Doc, having the original plate coin could probably help you though.

-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
11/21/2021 10:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3965 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking WDDO-005 was actually a little too close to the main eyelid, but I triple checked for the marker and no, it's not there. Thanks for the input though! It's easy to miss something and a couple extra eyes (get it?) checking on things can really help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2599 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough one for sure but IMHO it appears to be a new one.

The secondary eye on your coin looks like it would intersect with the primary eyelid to the east (if you extend the line of the primary eye).

Both 001 and 002 appear like they would intersect to the west if the main eyelid was extended.

Yours is also a great example that shows how sometimes an alloy of the metal may actually oxidize/disappear over time. If people look closely they will see there are little ridges and valleys created by the oxidation.

Quote:
.... and a couple extra eyes (get it?) ....

If you're not a Dad yet you'll be welcome to the club with puns like this.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4069 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  08:17 am  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was referring to 1DO-002 on copper coins. This is why I just like finding them, not figuring out which variety. LOL
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a couple extra eyes (get it?)
Hah! Yeah, I've heard a couple doubled eyelid jokes.

Sorry, never even told you how nice the coin was, very good looking woody.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3965 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much! Oh and I've been a dad long enough I may be in the punning for a medal. My specialty is telling very true sounding short stories with the pun at the end. My last one was this week after taking the off metal quarter down to PCGS in Baltimore. When I got back I told a story about a guy who had a 1943 cent struck on a scrap of wood, which I offered to buy for a very high price, but he just wooden sell it to me. Oh my! But my original plan was even worse, as I wanted to add trying to buy an off center 1943 steel cent and a 1943 lead counterfeit, all of which would have been great additions to my collection, but he... steel wooden lead me buy them. Well, once the first pun hits in a story you're done, so couldn't figure out a way to get to that big finish without giving the game away.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54570 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look how small the devices are? I'm thinking the die was over polished and the woody affect makes it them look even smaller.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3965 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Die has been well-polished and between that and the woody it's a tough one to nail down. I still think it is DDO-001, but can't prove it.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
331 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL tropicalbats clever puns. I like your kind of wooden humor :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2599 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks so much! Oh and I've been a dad long enough I may be in the punning for a medal. My specialty is telling very true sounding short stories with the pun at the end. My last one was this week after taking the off metal quarter down to PCGS in Baltimore. When I got back I told a story about a guy who had a 1943 cent struck on a scrap of wood, which I offered to buy for a very high price, but he just wooden sell it to me. Oh my! But my original plan was even worse, as I wanted to add trying to buy an off center 1943 steel cent and a 1943 lead counterfeit, all of which would have been great additions to my collection, but he... steel wooden lead me buy them. Well, once the first pun hits in a story you're done, so couldn't figure out a way to get to that big finish without giving the game away.

LOL

With puns like those I figured you were.
And I really like that these are coin related. Keep up the good work.

I know my puns are really good when my kids roll their eyes but now I've got them sending ones to me when they spy a good one.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
11/25/2021 9:51 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 344Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: