Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Athenian Tetradrachm And Illyria Drachme. Originality And Price?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 218Next Topic  
Greece
5 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  05:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spyros to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear friends,
I'm thinking of buying my first athenian tetradrachm.
I found this by a european dealer (17,2 g, 24 mm)

He also has an illyrian drachm (3,03 g, 18 mm)

They look OK to me but I would like a second opinion as I've never bought coins like that before.

What do you think would be a fair price for these two?

Thanks a lot
SP
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41874 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. What are the asking prices?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Greece
5 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spyros to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
500 euros for both!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41874 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets wait for members in the know to help.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
8368 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was recently in the market for an Athena tetradrachm. They are plentiful in very nice grades. 500 Euros seems low for this coin in this condition but I think it is for good reason. Athena's nose is cut off. The scarcest and most desirable of these are the ones that shows the Athena portrait in full as well as the full crest of the helmet. This coin exhibits neither. Most examples that I have seen show a full portrait but a partial crest. The problem is the silver slug that was struck tended to be too small for the design. If the slug was flatter to begin with, then the coin was larger in diameter and could accommodate the full Athena design. In addition, the reverse owl seems to be missing detail in the center.

The question is what is your goal. To obtain a finer example with all elements of the design visible, or to obtain an artifact from antiquity at a more reasonable price. You have to think ahead to what is likely to make you happy. Hope this helps.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Edited by numismatic student
11/22/2021 11:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1308 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The price is high. The Illyrian drachm should be 30-40 euros. For the remaining 460 euros you should be able to find a more attractive owl. A recent hoard of tens of thousands of owls has made it a buyer's market.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
133 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
500 Euros is ok for the two. But you're at the low end of the market and these are common coins, so you have a lot of choice. The prices go up exponentially for better examples, but you should be able to pick what you want to compromise. You might be able to get an owl with better detail, or an Athena with a nose. But you'd have to get nearer EUR1000 to get one with both of those, unless it has some other problem (test cuts being a very common one).

It might even be worth only getting one coin, but upgrade it a little.
Edited by JohnConduitt
11/22/2021 2:35 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 218Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: