Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2015 Shield Cent Cud

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,168Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5358 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't do facebook at all. I don't know what goes on there. Can you re-post some of that information here - better yet, can you ask Mike to visit this topic and make a statement for all of us to see, here on CCF?
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dearborn
Haven't forgotten about you mike has responded I'm waiting for a little more info from him and I'll post the images here for you when that time comes .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5358 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5358 Posts
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's his response I asked to make sure that it indeed is still considered by him we'll see.
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dearborn
Mikes understanding of it its still a cud. I'll say an early die stage of the cud which is connected to the rim which in turn is pretty neat actually.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2116 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is my understanding that if a die break contacts the design rim directly, it is considered a cud. There are two types of cuds: (1) those that replace the design rim (carry off the die's rim gutter) and (2) those that do not replace the design rim (meaning the rim gutter is intact).
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5358 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mike, I learned something new today.
Just when you think you have an understanding of CUDS, this changes the game.

@gorham_collector: I concede, I truly didn't believe that this (your coin) was a cud.

Thanks for posting it.
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again mike
It's alright Dearborn I learned something I started questioning once people kept saying die chip so I took a closer look it's what collecting is all about
Pillar of the Community
United States
2116 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All definitions of cuds say it is a die break that extends from the rim into the field. None of the definitions get into whether the design rim needs to be replaced in order to qualify as a cud. So I have to cast as wide a net as possible when deciding whether a particular die break is a cud. Like everyone else, I'm stuck with the terminology and definitions that my predecessors came up with.
Edited by mikediamond
11/24/2021 8:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8181 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bow to Mike's expertises, but this is akin to a rare duck that looks like a duck, sounds like a duck but officially it's considered a cow. If this was placed on eBay as a Cud, you better be ready to accept returns.

Mike, thank you as always for the education.
ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
3127 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2021  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have tried to illustrate what I think Mike is saying.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55454 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2021  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So this one is a die cud, before it is a rim cud?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2021  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die cud before it's a rim cud? A rim cud is different then a "die cud". Imo I haven't heard those terms. Anyways the rim cud starts at the end of the rim and goes into the coin the original cud I posted is an early die stage of this cud below. Which is just a cud it's not a rim cud and wouldn't be considered one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2116 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2021  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The term "die cud" is not used by hobby authorities. All cuds are on the die, so the term "die cud" is redundant. Perhaps some people use it in contrast to "collar cud", but that too is unnecessary. A rim cud can progress to a full cud, but this is by no means inevitable. And not all cuds carry off the entire rim gutter, instead limiting themselves to the internal margin of the rim gutter. The latest photo by gorham_collector shows a proper cud, trivial as it may be in size.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,168Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: