Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are Sellers Doing For Shipping Insurance These Days For Shipments Over $1k From Canada To Usa?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 254Next Topic  

Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  7:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vanhalen26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've got a couple star trek gold deltas that I want to list on ebay, but want to understand the best way to ship and insure prior to listing just so I can advise how they will be shipped3 in the listing, and live up to whatever I commit to. The value is probably around $1,500 US.

I haven't shipped any to the US in awhile, so my knowledge isn't current.

Thanks for any advice.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3609 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are worried about getting burned, don't sell on ebay.. someone can always rip you off.. if you are set on selling on ebay, use priority post with signature required. I would recommend trying a few facebook groups. no fees., and payment can't be re-tracked.
Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vanhalen26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Silverwolf. Thanks for the idea. I just asked to join a large group so I can check that out. I'd imagine something niche like the Delta Coins are better for ebay - just post and one day they will sell.

The last one I sold was genuinely lost by Canada Post, and then found a day later. But the buyer was sweating buckets and I wasn't too happy either. I shipped with signature required, and Canada Post marked it as delivered but hadn't actually attempted delivery the day they marked as delivered. The next day it appeared in the community 'super' mailbox in the purchasers locked compartment.

So my takeaway is insurance is probably helpful, even if they buyer is genuine. I would never ship something of this value to a buyer with sketchy or limited feedback, its just not worth the hassle. I'd rather cancel the sale.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3609 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yea, shipping insurance, is great when it doesn't get there. but doesn't do a thing for you, if the buyer files a charge back.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2349 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Check kuh_85's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind that the insurance fine print for Canada Post (and most other shippers) limits the payout for lost/damaged coins to $500CAD max. Regardless of how much insurance you actually paid for.
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 3rd party insurers that can help. Google: "private shipping insurance for collector coins".
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2349 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Check kuh_85's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
p.s. The cheapest method to ship CAN -> US with tracking, signature and additional insurance is Canada Post - Expedited Parcel US. Ensure you get a receipt from the post office at drop off so they can't claim they didn't receive it. Also recommend videoing the whole packaging process in case the buyer claims they received an empty package. Remember that with eBay the seller is guilty until definitively and unequivocally proven innocent. And even then they may just simply never give you your money back.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4074 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If at all possible , ie you are close to the border ship it from the USA
and send it US Registered insured mail .
As stated above all you can get from CPC on coins is 500 CAD and
good luck with a claim if you have one!!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1488 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pacific,
you are correct. But only IF you have easy access to the border... like you have. USPS is also raising all rates very soon considerably.
the OP wanted to know about shipping from Canada to the US. And not having to make a cross-border trip which would be prohibitive costwise and timewise during all the Covid requirements.
H
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1794 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with kuh_85, I have shipped many packages worth $5,000.00+ through Express Post with tracking + signature required at pick up point in the US without any problems always arrived safe and sound and on time.

Safest way I have found and less expensive than FEDX or UPSP.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 254Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: