Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 Nickel T Stamped Over S

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 195Next Topic  

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  02:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Trebest to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thought I'd share cuz never seen this before

Learn More...
United States
21414 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tre, are you sure that isn't just damage that is vaguely S-shaped? I'm struggling to imagine how such an error could occur at the mint.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
4218 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12574 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an error, just some sort of damage.
That is impossible to happen during the striking of a coin.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could be Die Deterioration like this.

Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62899 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree some sort of coincident damage.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54638 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like something made a splash of the metal. So it is just coin damage. If it were a devices, what would cause it on the die. Nothing. On the die the devices are incuse. Thus the coin shows raised devices from the hub. On this example the metal was moved from the point of impact and splashed away from that area. Making it look like something that it is not. Note the damage on the outside edge of the coin. It has been through some battle scars.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Trebest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just thought I'd share but I myself do not think it just damaged because it in the perfect shape of an s. I also think a mistake like this could happen during mint being they've stamped over coins and other errors. Anythings possible
any who is it is damage which it's not it's still cool piece. If it isn't then its first like it I guess. But thank you guys for input
Pillar of the Community
United States
7560 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I urge you to watch a video to see how coins are made to understand the minting process. JimmyD has this correct in it is impossible for this to happen during the coin's minting. This is just post mint damage.
ça va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12574 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's your coin, believe what you want.
If you think it is an error, send it to
get certified and prove all of us wrong.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have the coin in hand so you have a much better advantage then anyone here. I personally can't tell anything because your pictures are out of focus. I know how you feel though. I find many things without explanation. Keep learning. I gets better the more you know.
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 195Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: