Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

HI There Found A Strange Penny (1942)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 432Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  7:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add UTB9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there.
Found a strange one cent coin and I'm curious to know what it is. I came here for help. It's a 1942 penny but it's silverish color and thicker with sort of a raised edge. Looks like a dime. It's strange. Almost looks like a child's toy penny. it's not like any penny I've seen. I'm gonna look silly if this is some sort of kids toy lol. Can anyone tell me if this is a real coin? Thank you in advance and sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this question.

Edited by UTB9
11/25/2021 9:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5077 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1074 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
again!
This is what you might term a 'spooned' coin, very much a post mint alteration, where it could have been used as jewelry.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13117 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Always show both sides of your coin in question and do not hold it in your hand, Shoot it on a flat surface.
To answer your question from the small photo provided, it looks like a dryer coin or a spooned coin and it is genuine.

Correct typo
Edited by JimmyD
11/25/2021 8:48 pm
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UTB9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your replies. Spooned coins, that's fascinating. I didn't know what it was with it being silver in color. I'm going to keep reading and learning. It's so polished looks like a new dime.
Thanks again.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
19085 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Learn More...
United States
21874 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@utb, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'm going to offer a differing opinion on your coin. I believe that the oddly rounded edge to it is not due to mechanical damage such as by spooning, but rather this cent was encased at one point and the remnant frame is still encircling the coin. This is especially evident at the bottom on the rev where you can see a tab of torn metal.

Let's see what others think though. I've moved your thread to the correct subforum to get some good eyeballs on it.

Added: It looks like a date of 1942, but cents in that year were copper. Perhaps this cent was plated before being encased? Or is this a '43?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
6609 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a spooned coin me thinks. The coin may have been plated--not all that uncommon. Google the term 'steel Lincoln cents' for information on wheat cents not having a full copper composition.
Edited by ijn1944
11/26/2021 07:19 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13117 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After seeing the reverse photo, I know have to agree with
Spence that it is part of some sort of jewellery and has been plated.
As he stated, you can see the remnants of the mount.
This bezel could probably be removed if you want but I would
just leave it as there is no premium either way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2001 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These were a form of jewelry either given out or won at carnival's back in the 40's & 50's They were plated a silver or gold color. Here is one I found metal detecting a few years ago. The one I found still has the eyelet still intact.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64084 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence may be right. Can you give us the weight?

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16422 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Spence and was probably plated with zinc or mercury .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5210 Posts
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UTB9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that's fascinating. I don't have any kind of scale so I can't weigh it. It is very polished and shiny looking. I have an old English queen Victoria penny from 1895 that I will put it with. Maybe this is the beginning of something & for me.
Thank you everyone for the help. Very kind.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55330 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Bezel on the coin. It not attracted to a magnet, it maybe a plated coin. But the coin would have to jump to a magnet to be a steel cent. Also the weight would be helpful. If plated, that ruins the value of the coin. Just I'm thinking a copper 1944 cent.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
107962 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 432Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: